Thing (I'm thinking) I'll Make

I’m guessing the placement was originally due to manufacturing concerns. Getting decent quality quality gears that weren’t for parallel or 90 degree shafts that weren’t prohibitively expensive or heavy might have been a challenge until later in the century. According to this site, V-drives really got their start in the late 50s, so it may not have been an option available in the 20s. Given that it is now, my preference is to use that modern technology in an old wrapped to maintain that classic look but with modern performance.

Those twin V16s look amazing though; it’s tempting to make a replica of that!

I’d like to hear them! I like the old mahogany racers that make you look up the first time you hear them. :grinning:

Boat wise always thought it would be neat to make something like the Rocket but super light using things like carbon fiber to strengthen the hull. Would probably go pretty good with a 2L I4 engine. Then I came to my senses. I knew of someone who’d owned an airplane for years and decided he wanted a boat. Sold the plane, bought a boat, said it wa the worst decision he’d ever made. :scream:

If this what a single 1.5L V16 sounds like, I can only imagine what a pair of 18.2L V16s at wide open will sound like… :exploding_head:

Pure music! Years after the V-16, BRM built an H-16, stacked boxer 8s. I talked my parents into going to the 1966 USGP at Watkins Glen when I was too young to drive, don’t think they ever got over the ankle deep mud. :scream: It was the only GP ever won by that engine, Jim Clark at the wheel of a Lotus.

I’ve heard of that, but never heard it, and certainly not in person. From what I’ve read, that engine was too heavy and unreliable. Certainly creative, however.

It was the first year of the 3L Formula and anything and everything was in play. The game changed when the Cosworth DFV arrived, with that engine, aluminum monocoques, and so many cottage race industries in the UK, someone with a well-equipped backyard workshop could actually build a competitive F1 car.

I sometimes wish I’d been around then, making an F1 car in my garage would have been amazing. As it is, I’d love to take some inspiration from this guy and make one of my own as a throwback.

Yeah, as much as I enjoy modern technology like having my own CNC machine, I miss the days in racing when an average guy with a good idea or two could be a player with less $$$ than the budget of a small third world country. But like they say: Time waits for no man.

Indeed it doesn’t. And while I do like the romance of that era, personally I do like being alive now, pandemics aside.

I lusted for years over the thought of building a Tubby Tug. Two years ago I bought the plans and that’s as far as that project has gotten to this point. But in my mind “it’s underway” ; )

If anyone can do it, you can Kelly! Keep us posted!

I stumbled across this on YouTube. Sure is pretty! :+1:

Yes, I’ve watched all the build videos. Pretty amazing stuff!

I was disappointed not to see it at full throttle in open water, is there a video showing that?

Correspondence from DanLeeBoats regarding the Rocket Build.

*"Thanks for sharing the forum link. To answer a few of the questions on there regarding the engine… many of the original Rockets that were built were fitted with Ford Flathead V8’s, I have been in contact with a few people that have early ones undergoing or waiting for restoration and they were all fitted with Flatheads. There is also a guy that has bought a set of my plans recently who is fitting one of these engines in it. I am working with him to do any necessary modifications to set the boat up properly for a Flathead, such as correctly sizing the engine hatch etc. This will probably mean a design revision a bit further down the line. *

The only thing to bear in mind is that the boat design is quite old, the old flatheads would have been heavy engines and only produced around 100hp so putting a modern V8 in the boat with less weight and heading for twice the power could possibly overpower it. You may well be fine but it is a bit of an untried formula that I wouldn’t be sure about that’s all. That’s part of the reason I have gone for a smaller engine which should see me up to around 80hp once tuned etc. It should make the boat a good bit of fun.

Re Miss Isle running at speed, I would love to get a video done but I’m currently chasing out some issues with the engine and gearbox. I know people are disappointed that the launch video didn’t show the boat running at speed but with it being it’s first time on the water with an untried drive system, the main aim of the day was to weed out any underlying issues… and there were some, hence no fast action yet. A slipping gearbox meant I was basically driving in neutral on launch day, I have sorted that now but I also have quite low oil pressure so I am possibly going to have to get the engine out to investigate further. All part of classic boats and engines!

I’m not in a rush though, my aim is to take the rest of this year to get her mechanically set up properly, get the engine right, correct prop sorted and do all of the associated tweaks. I will then revisit the cosmetic parts of the boat that I’m not quite happy with and next year we should get some good water time in!"

2 Likes

It is certainly a beautiful boat. I would love to see one with a little more sitting room, and a big electric motor. Something like a motor in the back, and the batteries up front. No transmission needed.

It looks so cool though. IDK what he was saying about the finish. In the video it looked perfect.

I love the vintage look of the structure holding the rudder. :+1:

1 Like