Third MPCNC Build

Figured I would post some progress pictures here of my third MPCNC build. I started with a standard 3/4
" conduit build of the 525, upgraded it to 1" SS with the burly upgrade and am now working on a 1" SS primo version, but sized down a bit from the 21x31 build area I had before for foam board, down to the default size.

I didn’t take a lot of pictures, but will run through and post what I can find.

Parts all ready to go with my shiny blue.

Jtech 7w Pro Laser

Tubing and miscellaneous parts stolen from my prior build.

Remixed the 55mm spindle mount to include magnetic mounting for the Jtech laser

Starting to get the power and controls organized, this will mount to the bottom of the table

Putting my multimaterial printer to good use

More multimaterial prints, adding the estop to the power bar

Wiring the controls up to 10 pin connectors internally

Connecting everything for a test before mounting everything to the bottom of the table

Controller with the spindle active

Controller with the laser active

Table currently

Next steps are to print a method to mount the tape measure to the truck, attach it, mount the board to the bottom of the table and connect all the steppers and endstops so I can attach the cables to the table. Then I just need a mount for the controls, which will be attached with the existing magnets.

13 Likes

Smooth panels!! I’ve been thinking that the mmu is just a gimmick, but this is really something to consider…

That is great. I love the control box and I love the magnet attachment for the laser.

Clean setup! Is the controller going to be mounted or hand held?

Beautiful panels! What model of multi-material printer do you have and do you like it? I am shopping for one. Which filaments did you use?

I’ve got a Mk3 with the mmu2s upgrade. This is the prusament royal blue pla and some hatchbox black pla. For the Estop, it’s some old semi-transparent filaments.ca red and some printed solid jessie pla for the yellow.

It has 4 magnets embedded in the back, and the 2 screws for alignment. It will attach to a mount screwed into the front of the table but pull off.

1 Like

Do you think it’s possible to do a similar dual color panel print without the mmu? I really like them. I’m aware of the filament change option, but that goes by layer… perhaps I can make two separate prints, like an inlay?

Edit: found something with some creative google-fu: http://schlosshan.eu/blog/2019/03/02/prusa-i3-mk3-real-multicolour-prints-without-mmu/

Here is the Rainer’s World blog customizable Thing that allows you to print many different multicolour signs (and faceplates) by varying the parameters:

1 Like

I’m not worthy to view this build. very nice!

Flipped it on its side to attach the electronics and start wiring, only to realize I cut all my wires too short, of course after crimping them all. So I have extended the Z axis which is stepper, laser, laser fan and 3 wires for the spindle. X fits but is tight and I’ll probably extend it eventually when I route the wires better, not super happy about how much space they add behind the machine right now. Might need a hole in the table for them. Y needs to be extended but I couldn’t reach it without much annoyance with the soldering iron when it was on it’s end, so it is a tomorrow project.

Got the board mounted, power bar with custom estop added mounted, most of the wires tidied and mounted. Still need to design and print an attachment for the control panel, lengthen the Y wires and plug them in and design and print some kind of cord wrap for the power bar cable.

4 Likes

Very clean and inspiring build! Curious: what are the larger metal enclosures?

Anyway :+1:

From here, they look like power supplies. Probably for the controller, the Pi, and the steppers. Not a bad call, having two… Also a good call on the fire extinguisher. :slight_smile:

Yep, one is 48v for the spindle and one is 12v for the steppers, laser and rambo.

Few more updates, had to take a break to work on the 3d printer.
New mount for the control box, forgot to swap filaments but at least you don’t see it.

!

Plug for the touch plate. Need to print a wire wrap and clip to hold it in place somewhere neat.

!
Wiring all done
!
Z cables (laser power, laser fan, spindle cables and z motor wires) all finished with the tape measure trick.
!
Another shot of the plug for the touchplate
!
Control panel mounted. Uses 2 screws for alignment pegs and 4 magnets.
!
Overall progress

Next steps, print a wire wrap and storage for the touchplate, design a mount for a pen to mount to my existing magnet setup for my laser on the front of the spindle mount so I don’t have to swap it, Wire wrap for the power cable, cut and attach a spoil board on top, drill a grid through spoil board and top, insert threaded inserts into the bottom of the top, design and print some hold downs to screw into those, come up with some solution for the wires to run from the tool back over the Z to the plugs.

5 Likes

Which mounts did you use for the tape measure trick? Could you post a link? I am still looking for good ones.

You’re not alone! :woozy_face:

I made my own. Just uploaded it if you want to try it.

1 Like

Much appreciated, thanks.

Tidied up the touch plate

Existing magnet mount on the outside of my spindle

Laser mounted

Pen / drag knife holder mounted

Now to work on the tool -> z wire connections routing.

4 Likes