This is why I’ve built the MPCNC (Attached NOT carved by the MPCNC)

My ice carving season got off to an extra early start today. A guy I carve with had a job come in but was away so he had me help him out. This is exactly the sort of task that I’ve been building the drop table MPCNC for. Trouble is - it’s not quite ready for ice yet. I’m building up a MP3DP so I can print up a tool mount for my Makitas and then it’ll be time.

I hope this is one of the last hand-milled logo jobs either of us need to do. It’s not that it’s difficult but the level of precision the MPCNC will give us and absolutely minimal cleanup we’ll have to do will pay off in spades. Especially so when we get to events that require multiples of the same logos.

The artwork now is milled by hand using die grinders with 1/2” - 1/16” bits ranging from 1 3/4” to 6” in length. All through the process today I was envisioning the gantry doing the boring stuff for me so I could play with the other stuff (the base, bubbles and booze runs that run down the backside and out the sides of the carving).

Soon…very soon…

[attachment file=72057]

Pretty cool. I used to go to the ice carving contest in Fairbanks every year. Some of the things made were pretty cool.

I can’t wait to see some carvings from the CNC, and it seems like it will really help with that sort of stuff. Quick work of logos for sure.

We (the other ice guy and I) were chatting about it over tacos a couple weeks ago. It won’t really make for much of a time saver on one-offs. In fact it could take longer to get the code setup than just jumping in the freezer with paper templates and handheld die grinders. However the accuracy will be dead on.

For multiples - a MAJOR time saver. And you KNOW I’m going to be seeing what the MPCNC can do for me for things like table centrepieces (again multiples).