This might get profitable?

I see, I haven’t made it that far inland up North. I’ve been to Plentywood when I was doing POS repair.

This firm likes to spend money, so if you were making a neat product that the lawyers like, they’d probably compensate you handsomely. Did you hear of the Robert Back case at all?

I spent some time in Plentywood with the Telco working on fiber to the home. Not familiar with the Robert Beck case. What cities and dimensions? Brass or copper inlay would be cool, it just doesn’t work well on cutting boards.

I just looked it up and do remember seeing it in the news. I played sports from second grade through the Marine Corps and am rapidly turning against them. Our school system just bought two new diesel pushers for the sports teams but can’t afford school field trips anymore. At the end of the day the only thing most people remember is the arthritis and joint damage.

Well, Robert Back’s parents sued the healthcare system, saying the trainer cleared him to play… it’s a crazy sad story, but my firm defended the healthcare system.

Anyway, we’re in Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula, Montana; Bismarck and Williston, North Dakota; and Casper, Cheyenne, and Sheridan, Wyoming.

I'm liking this idea more and more... I may have to make it my first "real" project.

This project has been a lesson in keeping my mouth shut! Outside dimensions are 9’x9’. It is a legacy wall for our new 4H Chuckwagon building. 196 tiles are being sold for $1000 each. I volunteered to cut the tiles and somehow wound up with the whole project.

The toughest cut

Oh man, 196 tiles…That is a project. Looks amazing so far.

Man, $84k so far for 84 tiles (so far). I need one of those in my shop. Do you have the phone numbers of those businesses handy?

Its probably closer to $250k there is one on there for $100k and a couple for $25k there are probably only a dozen or two that only donated $1,000. They wont say how much is actually invested in the building but im sure it is close to $700,000(the kitchen was over $100k itself)

1 Like

Maple and purple heart

Whoa, that is super clean. How much hand sanding did it take to get it that perfect after the CNC?

Walnut in maple

There is no sanding on the inlay, I usually need a steel plate and a little mallet work to get them to fit. The outline of Montana is a different story. I cut 3" long 1/8" end mills to about 2 1/4" long to cut the outlines (the blanks are 1 3/4" thick). The outside edges have some flex cut even with a finish pass that must be sanded out. There is about 8 hours in each board.

2 Likes

YOu have made some really nice pieces. inspiration to us all who make things.

The Great Salt Lake and Delicate Arch

1 Like

An inlay for a cuttingboard a friend built

1 Like