TMC2130 experiments

Same, but I see an equal amount of videos where it does absolutely nothing as well! I want to put these on my extra i3+, which are on a different board I believe, but these smoother boards are very popular in the wanhao/monoprice community, but I still feel the bed/bearings is the issue on mine.

So, I installed TMS2130 on X & Y and I’m having issues with homing. When I home X or Y they home to zero. But when I home Z or ALL the X & Y move to their max positions until they can’t move any more and Z homes normally. I did not solder any of the pads on the TMC2130 as indicated in the picture in your response in this thread ( #55449) as these are not the Chinese TMC2130, rather I bought them from here (https://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=65686) which I’m assuming are the original ones and that are SPI enabled. I also ran the M122 comand and it appears that the SPI is working (see attached console response for M122). I’m also running Marlin-bugfix-1.1.8 that the marlin forum suggest to use and address some issues with TMC3210’s. Any thoughts?

[attachment file=“M122 Response.txt”]

M122-Response.txt (875 Bytes)

1. Are you doing the stallGuard to do homing, or do you have endstop switches?

2. Do the steppers move in the right direction when you’re not homing?

If they move in the right direction when they are not homing, the other thing you could look at is M119. They should be OPEN when they aren’t moving. It’s pretty tough to catch them with M119 in the TRIGGERED state.

It’s definitely fishy that it would home in X, or Y, but not in X, then Y, then Z. That seems like a software bug to me, so you might try another version. Make sure you are doing this test from a fresh reboot too. i.e. does it home the first time, but not the second, or will it fail on the first time if it’s just G28?

I did have trouble with the “stable” builds, so I think I went to 2.0. I did a bunch more troubleshooting on these in my MP3DPV2 thread, and I think the root problems were a) using 1.1.8, and b) one of these got broken, at some point, and replacing it (or actually swapping it for the Z) worked.

The other thing that’s fishy is you said it drives X and Y when homing Z. It does that to me, but only far enough to drive to the middle of the bed, and probe there. Do you have a Z probe? Maybe you’ve got that configured, or maybe your steps/mm are way off, so it’s driving way too far to get to the probe location?

Interesting problem.

1) Yes I'm using stallGuard instead of endstops.
2) x y & z move in the right direction when I move them individually.
3) It fails on the first home (G28 ) right after reboot.
4) Yeah I have the bl-touch. Transferred all setting from my old working firmware used prior to the tmc2130 upgrade. I should'nt have to change the setps/min to accomodate the tmc2130's on X & Y, should I?
5) I've also noticed that the speed of X & Y seems alot faster than before (i.e. prior to 2130 upgrades). It's been a while since I printed/used the printer (life gets in the way).....but I'm sure I had to wait while it homed....now it like takes no time to home to the max X & Y. Maybe it is a steps/min issue?
I'm going to try to upgrade to 2.0 and see what happens.

Definitely do a quick check to move it 10mm and make sure its not moving 100mm, too many steps/mm would explain this.

Yup…I should have thought of that duh…move 10mm from console but actually move 20mm…so double the steps/min.

Also looked at 2.0…it’s an entirely new structure right?

They moved everything, but the files are generally pretty consistent.

Also, awesome! It definitely didn’t feel like a steps/mm problem until you said bltouch.

changed it from 200 to 100 and now homing works and speed seems normal. G29 work also. X is very quiet y not such much, but I think that’s because I’m using you base for the MP3DP V1…so the motor is right on the base.

thanks for you help :slight_smile:

Sure, blame the base. :slight_smile:

I’m glad I could help. Thanks for the interesting problem.

1 Like

You base is great…really firms the frame and great when I have to move the machine

Hi everyone. Does anyone know how - if possible - to use the tmc2130 on a CNC shield?

I mean ,where do wire the 4 pins facing up ? I have been using the standar a4988 drivers and I’d like to try something new

(I’m an absolute beginner…)

Thanks!

The arduino needs to send messages via those pins (spi). Grbl doesn’t support that, AFAIK. Do unless you want to write the code, you’re out of luck.

Well over a year old, however, there seems to be new versions of the TMC2130 drivers which got most, if not all of the soldering work already done, like this one on Aliexpress, https://bit.ly/2TZrevp , or did I miss something?

As I read most of you don’t use the “smart homing” on the Z-Axis, to avoid crashing into the bed. Was thinking to put kinda of mechanical end stops there, but I suppose with the relatively short distances of the Z-Axis, the TMC2130 would just be waste of money. So my guess a much more simpler Driver than the 8825 would be enough, same goes for the Extruder I guess.

One final question, I’m thinking to use the MKS gen V1.4, how about the Z-Axis, Is it common practices to just wire the 2 Z-Axis Steppers in parallel, or would it be better to use the 5th slot and wire the Z-Axis separately?