Tom Sanladerer has an opinion on the MPCNC

Barry was that you last year at MRRF with that fine looking (and running) MPCNC or was that someone else?

Well, I’ve just looked at the video of Tom, and I don’t think it is an actual opinion.
I mean, he probably just doesn’t know much about the MPCNC, he has the same concerns that we had the fist time we saw it and before we got deeper into actually making an informed opinion. Maybe just saw a few pics, or saw the parts on thingiverse.

Many people think about the chassis when they think about CNC rigidity, but most of the time the chassis doesn’t matter too much, what is really important is the guiding rails/threaded rods/belts rigidity, precision and backlash.

I see many problems with the Sienci:
-There is only one V profile guide for each axis, so any force applied outside of these rails will wobble the whole thing. This seems like a major issue to me, especially for the bed.
-V grooves plastic bearings… well, not ideal, to say the least.
-size of the motor supports attach points: they are too close to each other, here again, any force applied will wobble the whole axis.

These are critical structural issues, I’m not really sure it can mill aluminum, actually I’m pretty sure the MPCNC is much better regarding those. And I’m not saying that because I own one, I think these are purely technical criterias. If the bed is not stable, milling is horribly difficult. I can’t imagine what is gonna happen when punging in an aluminum block on one of the sides of this bed… Probably desastrous.

Tom is clearly an expert at 3D printing, I really like to watch his videos, I still sometimes learn a thing or two about printing even though I am quite experienced in this now (partly thanks to him!), but I think CNC milling is a new world for him and he doesn’t know much about it. 3D printing knowledge is transposable to CNC, but there are still a lot of differences between both, which may seem negligible at first, but tuns out to be crucial in reality.
I have no doubt he will gain experience and soon propose interesting videos about that, just don’t take it as a real valuable criticism yet.

@Ryan, maybe an easy thing to do could be for you to contact him directly and ask him nicely if he could try to build one of your machines. I mean he probably has all the necessary hardware anyways, and dozens of printers to print all the parts. I bet he could print the entire think on one day! This guy is generally all about opensource projects, so I suppose there could be a good chance he will give it a shot if he has enough time.

BTW, the MPCNC does not even exist on Instructables.com
If you want easy visibility, you may start with that.

I’m a total nobody on this website but I’ve got more than 100 000 views and won a few contests with my DIY workbench, no doubt you could win something too and a get lot more views with the MPCNC.

It could very easily boost your visibility, it’s just a bit of work to prepare a nice tutorial, Also, it would be a nice way to have step by step instructions.

We can all make informed/educated guesses about how something might perform but without trying it we are doing the same thing Tom did, just guessing. I designed mine the way I did for a reason I’m sure they did as well.

I am a little more concerned with any of the people that might have seen that and will now totally discount the MPCNC because a 3D printing “authority” wrote it off very quickly.

Maybe one day I will get to Instructables, but I haven’t even finished the build instructions for the lowrider yet, or made any for the MP3DP. I have the site, the forums, FB, instagram, google+, youtube, email, ordering, designing, troubleshooting, production, printer maintenance, shipping receiving, taxes, bills, inventory, prep, testing, R&D…and then the rest of life outside of this.

Well, there are 3 'ibles that come up on instructables searching for “MPCNC” - 2 of them are mine :slight_smile:

My cheap mini-quad which uses parts I machined on the MPCNC: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ultra-Budget-Mini-Quad/

And my write up of the needle cutter I use for cutting foam: https://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Needle-Cutter/

They both got featured on FB and in the instructables mailing list and won me 3 t-shirts and a DWP611 router when the needle cutter got a 2nd place in last years CNC contest.

The third is an enclosed 525 for laser cutting…which has surprisingly few views/likes compared to other laser projects :frowning: https://www.instructables.com/id/MPCNC-525-Laser-and-Enclosure/ not sure why that one doesn’t get more attention as laser cutters seem popular on instructables.

I’ve actually been keeping an eye open for a suitable contest to write up my full MPCNC experience and enter. Would be neat to see other users do their own as well since Ryan is sounding a little overextended :slight_smile: I have no problem doing what I can to help promote the MPCNC since the bigger the community the more we all benefit.

Eeeee, I didn’t mean for it to sound that way, I absolutely love my job!

It’s just early here and after finishing my coffee and making my way through all the various things I check in the morning to make sure nothing horrible has popped up the thought of another site wasn’t pleasant…but Dui has a good idea.

I could easily just use my instructions page and add a little to it and have a good assembly write up. Maybe I will look into it later. I just want to get my butt out of the chair for a while and make something.

Ok, “overextended” wasn’t really a fair word to use :slight_smile:

Was just trying to express that as a member of the community I like to promote your creation as a way of saying thanks to you for doing the hard work of creating it in the first place. Personally I find community endorsements far more convincing than author endorsements. Seen too many projects that were easy for the original author and give great results but turn out to be all but unreproducible by anyone else. Seeing a thriving community of people who’ve replicated the project and extended it - THAT really draws me in and was key to me taking the MPCNC seriously enough to build one.

But hey, if my comment helps push you into making an official instructable…I’m not going to complain :smiley:

I don’t think there should necessarly just be one instructable for this machine. Especially since there is som many ways to use it.
The more, the merrier. I’ll probably write one at some point too, just need to find some time.

I saw yours Jason, and kudos for the win, but I meant that there were no instructable specific on how to build the entire machine.
Yours was more about needle cutting if I recall correctly.

Nope, that was someone else. I usually just come over for one day. It’s about a two hour drive from home.

I wonder if they saw this thread and took it the wrong way.
https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/scienci-leech/