Tool changer update

Is there enough room between the two tools to mount another tool and still have the trucks clear? From the angle in the video it seems like there might just be enough room to make it work.

Aha. I get it now.

Is it added to the contest? I didn’t see it.

What if you named it “Game Changer”?

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t see it in the list either and I was starting to freak out since the deadline is imminent. But then I got an email confirming that the entry was received. It looks like they have humans review the entries for eligibility.

This is to confirm that your entry DIY Automatic Tool Changer for MPCNC for the CNC Contest 2020 has been received and will soon be reviewed by our moderators.

The review process can take up to one business day. If you’ve submitted your entry over the weekend, it will be accepted on Monday when we’re back in the office! Please note, office hours are Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time and US Holidays are observed.

As for fitting tools tighter and dodging collisions, it could be possible. I haven’t thought that hard about packing tightly or optimizing.

1 Like

Very nice!
Seems like everything is sorted aside from the power chord. You need to find a way to have mains power available at the print head level.
I’m thinking maybe some kind of magnet based system like the apple stuff?

You could have the terminals in a recess on the print head (so that you don’t bump accidently into them and get electrocuted), and two magnets protruding on the tool side.

This way you get a solid yet safe and removable connection between both. I suggest to turn on the power only after connection, to avoid any sparking that would damage the magnets. No need for crazy magnets, something like 3mm in diameter should be enough, they must remain a bit weak in order to not interfere much with the tools disengagement.

Pretty sure that would work nicely and I think it would be really easy for you to build.

1 Like

BTW, couldn’t vote for your project on instructable since it doesn’t show up. Doesn’t really mattter anyway, votes don’t really count, in the end it is a jury of some people who decide, it seems to me that they favor artistic projects over technical ones most of the time, so don’t get your hopes too high.

But good luck anyway!

What, what? Votes don’t count?

I think it is near the top. At least enough to grab a gift card of some kind. There are some pretty projects there though.

This the contest? I still don’t see it :frowning:

Yes that’s the contest. I’m not seeing it either. There were 77 entries as of last night when I submitted and still 77 now. They assure me it’s been received but it can take 24 hours. Still I’m nervous until I see it posted publicly. :worried:

Doesn’t seem right they would take votes before all the submissions were up for the voters to review… Sounds like Dui has them figured out.

Looks like it’s up now! :partying_face:

Voting is open for three days past the submission deadline, so that means about two more days from now.

And don’t forget these too from here: CNC contest - 20 prices, ranging from 500 to 50 USD - #24 by ijustlikemakingthing

*sorry I edited your post to have all three in one place!

4 Likes

I can see the tool changer entry. good luck!

2 Likes

Boom, got all three! Fingers crossed. I added a post to the FB group as well.

2 Likes

I voted for the tool changer! Even if Dui is right at least I tried.

1 Like

Well that’s my experience anyway. And it’s not really necessarily a critic as to how the system works at instructables, if votes were to really count then you’d have a lot of abuse since it’s very easy to cheat (either by having lots of friends/followers in the first place or by simply buying votes, there are some companies specialized in doing just that).
So it’s a few moderators of the website and probably also some people from the sponsor who decide the winners. They do a good job in doing it most of the time :slight_smile:

Anyway, I voted, wish you good luck! :wink:

1 Like