Tool Shadowbox

Wanted to organize a few of my toolbox drawers. Used the anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight. Cut with a 2 flute endmill at a DOC of about 6mm. Modeled using Fusion 360, projected the images to trace the tool layout.

26 Likes

Oh that is just nice!!!

Neat stuff! If you donā€™t mind me asking, how do you project the tool images. Iā€™m just getting into Fusion so if thatā€™s one of its functions, just LMK and Iā€™ll start studying more. :smiley:

Iā€™m kinda surprised that the HF mats are rigid enough to cut with a regular end mill?

1 Like

I start a sketch, draw a box of the rough dimensions, then choose insert canvas, select your file, and youā€™re good to go.

I didnā€™t know how the endmill would cut the mats but they were so cheap I didnā€™t care if I screwed up. Used a little 3m adhesive to secure them to a scrap piece of wood.

1 Like

Thanks!

Nice Work!

Another way is to capture something of a known dimension in the image (a ruler is nice). You can right click the canvas object in the browser and select ā€œcalibrateā€. Then you get to pick two points and tell fusion exactly how far apart they should be.

6 Likes

Yeah, I figured that out on the 3rd set I was cutting. Itā€™s the most accurate haha.

1 Like

Nice. I wasnā€™t sure which would be the better workflow because Iā€™ve never resized a canvas the other way. Only reason I learned about canvases was because I saw one being calibrated, lol.

2 Likes

That is a much simpler method than I have done in the past.

1 Like

Great project! I have some of these on my LR2-to-do list.

And thanks for explaining the Fusion 360 ā€˜canvasā€™ trick. Iā€™ve done a similar thing with Solidworks. There itā€™s called a ā€˜sketch pictureā€™, but it can be scaled pretty much the same way.

1 Like

I love this idea and want to make a few for my box, but Iā€™m pretty sure there wouldnā€™t be enough foam left to hold itself together. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Cutlery tray? :rofl:

I was thinking for my situation, I donā€™t want to pay for drawers, so perhaps I could take the same idea starting with a hardboard base and cutting foam that is deeper than all the tools (perhaps grouping tools by height), and I could have little stackable pallets instead of being all random in a box or drawers.

If the foam is deeper than the tools then I would also want little finger tabs so I donā€™t have to fight the foam to grab the tools.

Bigger box?

Smaller tools?

Not perfect but something like this might helpā€¦

4 Likes

Back when PDAā€™s were a brand new thing, I remember saying ā€œIf I need a pocket computer to remind me of all my daily appointments, Iā€™ve got too many appointments.ā€

Any chance youā€™ve got too many pliers? (Never mind, even as I typed it I knew that was just crazy talk).

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about something like that. Quarter inch sheet of plywood, with foam on top. Then you can make a couple towers with slots to hold the pallets. Kinda like Frank Howorthā€™s latest shelving project, but the pallets instead of drawers.

Also, for scaling images one of my retired CSI friends sent me one of these.

ā€œSTOP USING QUARTERS FOR SCALE!ā€

1 Like

And stop using inches while youā€™re at it!

1 Like

He was always yelling that, so weā€™d use the most random thing we could find for scale.