Torn on a new to me CNC machine

For those still following along.

I need to reprint some of the homing/limit switch mounts and replace a few switches that are broken. I’m not sure how you get a machine to bust limit switches, but ok… :slight_smile: Maybe I’ll weld some mounts out of steel.

But beyond that, the machine is working well. The two lead screws used on the Y axis weren’t in line with the axis after the machine was moved, but by slowly jogging the machine all the way to the other end of the axis, it self-aligned. The one end of the lead screws are slightly floating to allow for this.

My friend sent me a picture of the CNC machine he bought to replace this one. Let’s just say it’s not Hobby Grade:

He plans on enclosing it in a room with windows and a big door on one side for loading/unloading it.

I can’t wait to see the stuff he produces with it.

I have been wanting to play with building a control box for a larger CNC, so I ordered a LattePanda to install mach4 on. I’ll slowly start collecting parts to build out the control box. I want to go with individual stepper drivers.

3 Likes

Awesome! What does your friend do with his new CNC?

Lots of odds and ends type things. Stuff that would take forever to cut with a jigsaw.

1 Like

I second the idea of a used South Bend.
I sell between 25-30 used South Bend & Clausing lathes a year.
The South Bends are built like tanks, and were built to last.
I sold two last week for $500 each, the sad part is the buyer wanted them just for parts and was going to scrap the beds & ways.
Newer lathes, IMHO don’t have castings as stout as the older ones and are not as husky.

How can I get in on that? Hard to find decent iron here in Texas for some reason. Everyone thinks their 60 yo lathe is worth their weight in gold.

Depending on location, I have a trailer and might make a weekend trip out of it. PM me if you want.

For some reason I like the looks of the clausing’s better.

Router installed. Will try to cut something this weekend.

Made some cut on the machine tonight.

Way slow on the feed rate. I’ll need to play with this some.

I used estlcam to produce the g code. This is a file I recently ran on the mpcnc (and where I finally discovered my bent core rods are causing issues).

Turn your audio down.

1 Like

I ordered an ER style collet for the Bosch. The collets that come with it are 1/4" and 1/2". The ER style comes with ‘all’ the standard sizes.

Looking forward to cutting some wood this weekend. I think I’ll do a few more test cuts and then I want to finally start playing with inlays and cutting some kaizen foam for some inserts.

2 Likes

I didn’t get anything cut this weekend. I went out Saturday morning to start and decided that my shop was too messy to do any work. I started cleaning and discovered that I needed more shelf space, so I spent the rest of the weekend replacing 3 small shelves with one great big one.

Before:

After:

And while I had the welding cart out, I finally decided to paint it.

Maybe I’ll get some stuff cut ‘this’ weekend.

6 Likes

Tonight’s work in the shop was much more exciting.

I replaced the ancient Windows XP desktop computer running Mach3 with a much newer, more powerful LattePanda Alpha running Mach4.

I just ran the same cut that I tested with earlier and everything looks to be working correctly. One step closer to doing some real work.

1 Like

Nothing too exciting. Just using the cnc to flatten a piece of mahogany too wide for my jointer

3 Likes

The CNC runs well, but unfortunately it takes up too much room in the shop.

My friend bought some storage units and installed them on his property, so he has a place to put it again. I’m going to have him come pick it up.

Once it’s gone, I’ll be replacing the DOM tubing on my MPCNC with some stainless steel ones that aren’t warped. Still kicking around the idea of a 2’x3’ or 3’x4’ LR2 to replace the MPCNC

That’s bitter sweet. How did the feeds/speeds and tolerances stack up to the mpcnc?

1 Like

I never did enough to really compare.

Surfacing the boards I know I was running it quite a bit faster. But that was only a 1mm cut. It didn’t have issues bogging down the Bosch router without skipping steps.

1 Like

Bitter sweet, cool that you got to mess around with it a bit though. Hopefully I can come up with a new LR…but if the ideas don’t work out I will revise the current one. So hopefully there will be a new LR of some sort in Jan-Feb? So save some space for that, don’t build anything new until then.

Part of me has been debating running with a design of my own. Was looking at linear rails and ballscrews and nema 23s.

Thinking about something capable of pushing around a 2.2kw water cooled spindle.

But I’m in no hurry. I’ll wait to see what you do.

4 Likes

Oh come on, you might as well start testing that. Everyone wants those specs!

3 Likes

Yup. But the cost is still an issue.

I’m wanting to do a 4’x3’ machine and it’s looking like $600 or so just for the ball screws and linear rails.

I have 2 other projects I need to do before I can start this one.

I spent some time this morning reading up on CNC design and spec’ing ball screws and linear rails.

I started a spread sheet to keep track of parts that can be purchased. There’s a company that makes fully assembled z-axis that you can buy that all you need to do is toss your stepper motor on it. Looks like that takes a lot of the more tricky part of the design out of the equation.

With using one of those for the Z axis, I’m at $2000 for stepper motors, drivers, ball screws, and linear rails. This gives a 59"x39" (1500mm x 1000mm) linear rails and ball screw setup, which should net me close to the 3’x4’ cut size I’d like. The pre-built Z axis is about $300 of that and a 120v 2.2kw water cooled spindle is almost $400.

Reading on design lead me to 2010 ball screws. I’m currently considering HGR20 linear rails for the X-axis (mounted horizontally on the gantry) and 20UU rails for the Y-axis (mounted vertically).

There is a little concern that NEMA23 are powerful enough for the materials I’m considering using, so I upped to NEMA34 on the spreadsheet for the X and Y axis.

The current thought is to use 1.5" square steel tubing for mounting the linear rails with mounting brackets on each end welded on for the X axis. I can weld braces between the two tubes for additional bracing through the span if needed.

I’d probably weld a steel frame for the Y axis rails to mount to. I’m considering an under-carriage for the gantry to ride on that will go under the table. Then I have to design a table that’s only mounted on the two ends… again… something else that’d probably be welded. What I like about the under carriage design is that it would allow the rails and ball screws for the Y axis to be somewhat hidden. It also turns the entire gantry into a box design. Not sure what I’d make the end plates out of.

In my head, this seems to be fairly simple, so I’m sure I’m missing something. I think purchasing the rails is what helps simplify the overall design.

There would be a lot of machining I’d have to do to make sure all the rails are parallel. My mill should make that easier. It only has a 36" long bed, so I’d have to reposition the work piece at some point during drilling the holes, but I can use a previously drilled hole to re-index the part.

Add in the build materials and I’m probably looking at a $3000 machine. Quick google show Avid’s standard maching is $2799 with NEMA23, but it uses lead screws and bearings. That makes this idea pretty tempting.

It’s been a fun thought process, but I really should be focused on current projects :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have never really priced that out. Seems lower than I expected is that including shipping on the larger heavier parts?

I need to do something like this to weigh some upcoming choices.