touch probe ideas?

My lawn is "covered in little crowns the neighbors are starting to talk behind my back?

1 Like

Hello,

I want to use a touch probe with a user command from the LCD panel, and I’m thinking in changing the Marlin file with this line:

[attachment file=“Home Z.jpg”]

Can I do this?

Basically, my touch plate is around 20mm in height. And after it touches the plate, I want to rise the Z by 20mm, so I can remove the touch plate from beneath it.

Thanks

Home-Z.jpg

Drilled a hole through my table way out in the back right corner and bolted a fender washer to the table. Measured it and recorded the thickness. Clipped on side of the Z limit switched to it and the other to the bit.

The machine homes to the spot and touches off. When I do a tool change I set a macro in CNC.js that sends the tool to home and touches off then raises the tool and sets the offset for the washer thickness. I am running GRBLMega-5x on a RAMPS 1.6

I built the machine for the 24x24 size but am going to expand it a little so that my limit switches do not interfere with the travel like they do now and to allow the home spot to be outside that area. Right now I have about 22x22 working area.

Remove space between z and 20 in g92

Of you need +20 above the probe then use g0 z40

Yes, I removed the space after I wrote the post. But thanks!

About the G0 section, doesn’t this raise the Z axis by 20mm independently of the current height? You make it sound that it raises the Z to 20mm absolute, and that I should put 40 so it goes to 40mm absolute from zero.

But I’ll try it with some considerable height above the table so I have time to reset in case it doesn’t stop! :slight_smile:

Feeler gauge!

Nice!

Hi!

I’ve just published my version of a touch-probe, so far it’s quite accurate! This version doesn’t require to have something metalic (I’m still waiting for my spindle to arrive, so I’m trying to have some fun in between ^^)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3865285

2 Likes

Hi, I see you use touch probe with your grbl mpcnc setup. Can you share how it is wired up? I have the A15 pin set up for z probe. But as I had it when using Marlin software I had a dobble dupont. And now it is just set up for one connector? I am missing somthing here…hmmm