Tramming the Lowrider 2?

I am finally getting back around to finishing up my LR2, and ran some tests today. I am super happy with absolutely everything, except for the fact that my table, despite going to great lengths to make it level, simply is not. It’s higher in the middle (on the short axis) by as much as 2.5mm. I am going to have to surface it.

So I decided to run a little test in some HD foam to see if the Z is square. it’s definitely not. The grooves are very noticeable. Does anyone have a process they’ve used to tram a LR2 ?

I can level up a piece of glass in the middle of the table but I cannot imagine where you would add shims on this design other than at the router mount itself.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

It should be fairly parallel to the table as long as these two parts stay flat to each other when you power up the steppers.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I followed your advice, and immediately ran into a (possibly related) problem. I lower the Z axis until everything is flat as you pictured. I noticed that when I have the 611 plate parked at the far end of the short axis, and raise the Z axis 1mm at a time, that the forward pipe raises before the rear pipe (only at the far end, this does not seem to occur at the end with the motherboard and display attached to it). When I measure the distance from the top of the YZ roller assembly to the bottom of the XZ endcap, they are indeed different by about 1.5 mm from front to back. I simply cannot see a reason for it. I got my Z-rails parallel (within 1mm difference over the length of them), I’ve checked the tightness of the XZ endcaps. I even tried loosening up the entire assembly and rotating it a little and then re-tightening every thing. No bueno. I’ll post a video if anyone wants a more visual description of the problem.

Larry

Drop them all back down to 0, then loosen the top clamps, then tighten them back up. Probably got assembled with a bit of a twist. If they still twist, drop them back down, loosen the clamps, and rotate the tubes, then tighten.

1 Like

Thanks Barry, I got it on my second try. I had to twist it pretty good, but it’s level now.

Larry

1 Like