Tramming z axis

@stevempotter - Thanks for the note. This is not a knock against the Primo, but this is a shorttcoming. Due to some other issues, like chinesium drivers that caused a fire and destroyed all of my electronics, and this other thing called life, I have not worked on this issue. However, I did come up with a solution that is working; “sort of”. It uses heated brass inserts and grub screws. It does suffer with vibration issues and is still difficult to put into its final position, but essentially, you leave the mount “loose”, while you are setting the bottom grub screws. This is enough to test it. When you are happy with the setup, you can pull the spindle and tighten all of the other screws. The reason I have not “released” this, is that under vibration I had the grub screws loosen, which can be very dangerous. Some lock tight fixed this, but still not a great design.

Again this is not a knock against the machine as a whole, but the Z axis design does not take this issue into account. I am still trying to figure out an elegant solution. I fear that I will have to redesign the entire gantry to resolve this. Most of the other designs out there, have this feature somewhat put into them, as the z-axis as a whole if bolted to the carriage assembly. Attached is some images of what I am using. Seems to do the trick and stops the need for shims, and fully disassembling the gantry.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks

BottomToolMountWithTramminginserts

1 Like

Shimming the z is a pain in the butt, would love to have something like this
to better be able to tram it.
What about a longer set screw be used with a lock nut on it?

2 Likes

That is a great idea. Not something I thought of. Like I said smart people around here. Let me work on this. As a side note, are you a Fusion user? If so, I might be able to share the model and we can work on it together. Let me know if this is something interesting for you are anyone. Maybe we can work out this issue better.

–BA

2 Likes

Yep I do have access to fusion.
Would be great to try it out and collaborate on it.
chrisbryanolsen@gmail.com

Thanks!

3 Likes

OK, give me a few days, I have the whole life thing going on.

–BA

1 Like