Tried something new (to me)

About 50 bucks in material, 20 hours of machine time, and 2 or 3 hours of computer labor (tool paths, i bought the file) and 3 hours of manual labor.
OH yeah, on my 2x4 primo.

24 Likes

I love it :slight_smile:

Wood and finish?

Looks like your tool change(s) were spot on.

1 Like

That’s really beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’m using the dual stops and tiny touch plate, so tool changes and restarts were easy.
This is pine, stain, and poly. 6mm two flute hss to rough, 1/8 in two flute ball to finish, then a couple hours of sanding.

3 Likes

That is impressive, and looks amazing. It took a lot of work but it payed off. WOW

2 Likes

Worth all of the time and money you have put into it. Beautiful.

1 Like

Is there any tutorial how to do carvings like this for beginners? This is looking outsanding!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m not sure about tutorials, I just started small.
Pick up or create a good model, pick a roughing strategy, then a finishing strategy. Most of the time you’re gonna get a reasonable result and most of the choices are going to be time savings. The quality will be similar.

Also, don’t expect a finished-finish off the machine. If you can get it, great, but I always have to sand by hand.

If you have specific questions you can ask just about anywhere someone has posted a project that looks like they solved your problem already, but it’s a good idea to start a thread asking your specific question (if you can articulate it).

The crew here is awesome and eager to help, so don’t be shy!

2 Likes