Trouble with Z axis raising above material plane between cuts

thank you will try this , sorry again for jumping thread , thanks for all your hard work.

I am sorry I do not understand.
What did Estlcam flash, you said it flashed Estlcam firmware.
If I reflash the Arduino board with your firmware. Then use Estlcam, wont this then happen again.
I never flashed anything to the Ardunio board.
It should have been flashed before you shipped it out.
You recomend using Estlcam as one of the programs to work with MPCNC.

Please help me to get this resolved.

I spent most of my day off yesterday going over all the replies to my post. Went and checked each suggestion. Nothing helped.
The only one I did not check was the swapping Z with either X or Y.
I was not sure what to do. If I just swapped the wires, I did not want to damage the Z frame, X and Y have a lot more movement.
I tried to pull the ramp off the board, did not want to break it, in real snug.
the whole unit came assembled. All I put on was the one jumper with a diode on it on the jumper pictured.

I do not have a problem with you jumping in.
Our problems are similar. Maybe you explained something better than me to get the answer.
I went over all but one reply and still not running right.
Back to work today. will try more when I get some time, in a few days.
Big project at work, a lot overtime right now, grabbing every minute I can.

1 Like

First thing: check your pineapple coupler. It often happens that this thing get loose, then the Z axis doesn’t move up.
Then, you seem to have checked already your clearance plane. What happens if you set a very high value, like 30mm?
What is your Z-axis origin in Estlcam? it should be set to “workpiece top side”
The CNC program start should be set “at clearance plane”
What speed did you setup your Z axis? Try a lower speed, it is possible that you set up too high speeds and then your motor loses steps

One of these things should solve your problem, hopefully
Good luck, let us know how it worked :slight_smile:

When setting up estlcam there is a bit that says do you want to connect with ardunio I thought it downloaded drivers but now believe it reflashed ardunio.will try reflashing at weekend. Let you know x, y and z work fine z works manually in estlcam but not when cuting also not connecting properly with repetier host I assume it has reflashed it. Hope this makes sense.

Does your workflow look like this?
https://www.v1engineering.com/estlcam-basics/
Pay particular attention to steps 6 and 7.

George it was flashed prior to shipping, it appears you did things to flash estlcam’s firmware on the board. Most likely you are not doing steps 6 or 7. This never used to happen because it was incompatible, now it is meaning you can flash it, if you do things differently. You could prevent this by doing all of this without the board plugged in when you generate your gcode. You will most likely need to reflash the board. It is a very easy process and I have it all laid out step by step with screenshots.

2 Likes

OK so I need to reflash the Arduino board.
Your post says there are step by step instructions with screen shots.
Please send a link to where it is.

Then I make the code in Estlcam, with machine not plugged in and run program in repetier host to cut design.

Thank you for the help. I hope this works, I am so excited to make stuff.
I have several people ask me to make stuff when I learn how to use it.

The link eight posts above titled Firmware.

1 Like

I am sorry. I must be really bad at this.
You said I need to create to program in Estlcam with MPCNC unplugged.
Then Save the program. Close Estlcam.
Open Repieter Host. load program.

So I download Reipter Host from link.
Install it open it and it seems to me that it is for 3D printers.
I am not following. How do I set Repieter Host to commicate with the Arduino board to cut and carve on my CNC machine.

If Estlcam v10 will not run/control CNC, wil Estlcam v9 work.
I am getting frustrated. Just want to make stuff. Spent too much time and money for this not to work right.

I really need help.

Step by step with text and pictures, https://www.v1engineering.com/estlcam-basics/

Step by step in video form (he has many other step by step videos as well), https://youtu.be/qM8ITjC5bJ4

My two cents:

Don’t lose your time using Repetier. Instead, use the SD-Card directly to command the CNC, it’s easier, faster and it does the same thing. You don’t need any computer or software to run your CNC, keep it simple.

So, first step: you create your toolpath in Estlcam. Do a simple thing like a circle or a square, just to test. Set your tool correctly, your cut dephts, etc.
Second step: you save the CNC program (.nc file)
Third step: rename your file from “whateverthecrapyounamedit.nc” to “whateverthecrapyounamedit.gcode”
4th step: copy this file in your SD card, then put the SD card in the slot of your CNC machine
5th step: make sure that everything is ready then power up your machine and launch the job.

Last but not least: your problem seems to be the configuration in Estlcam, so please post us as many screenshots as you can about your settings so we can see what is going on. Otherwise we will guess solutions between many possiblities, you will try some, it won’t work and you’ll get more and more frustrated.

1 Like

I am sorry to be such a pain. But I am having trouble getting repetier host to config CNC machine.
It is trying to have me go through Sever and asking for a printer config file.
Where is that.
So I am stuck printer set up.
At least I figured out how to get the program screen to look like the screen shot.
I am doing this in short time frames due to work.
I get one to a few hours to work on this at a time.
eventually it will work

Thank you everyone who is helping get this going
George

Repetier host, not repetier server.

hi i have re flashed ardunio as instructed and when connecting to repetier host the humming stops for a second, connect button goes green but wont do anything in manual movements , have put a dxf file in estlcam created toolpaths saved as nc. file put across to repetier host in print preview shows project way outside grid. have made sure eltlcam was off all times connected with mpcnc .

Gothic revival flashed seemed to take allot longer to load this time and has worked tried cutting acsimple shape setting at 2mm per pass seemed to be doing 5mm so more learning to do lol thanks allot to you all ?

Got sorted *

I am back working on my CNC today.
Am trying to reflash the Marlin Firmware to the Arduino bard. All motor wiring is unplugged.
Got an error message:
Arduino: 1.8.2 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

c:\users\msmia\desktop\arduino-1.8.2-windows\arduino-1.8.2\hardware\tools\avr\bin…/lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/…/…/…/…/avr/bin/ar.exe: unable to rename ‘core\core.a’; reason: Permission denied

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Please help me get past this hurdle.
I reinstalled the Arduino drivers for windows.
Checked all the setting to match the screen shots.
my file name did not match the screen shot, but I thought it was a newer file then screen shot. MY file name:RC7_MPCNC_LCD_9916.
I do not have an LCD screen on my board. I did not see another file for without.

How can I see if I even need to reflash the board. How do I see what is flashed right now?

I also deleted Repetier Host Server and am downloading Repetier Host to try again.

Thanks for and and all help.

It doesn’t matter if you have a screen you still need to install the uglib to use that firmware. That page has a screen shot of every step.

The error you are showing is the missing ug8lib library.

It could be a windows 7 thing, not sure I have not used that in a long time.

I went back and started from beginning and included the U8glib library.

It says right on the top line Include U8glib Library

Still getting the Error compiling for Arduino board.

I feel like I am getting further from this then before.

I unistalled Repetier Host Server and re installed Repetier Host and just need to get the Arduino reflashed.

I spend all this time today and really got nowhere.
Another wasted day.
Back to work tomorrow and it may be a few days before I get time to spend on this.

Very Bummed Out.

Run Arduino.exe as an administrator to see if that fixes the can’t rename core.a issue. If so, head over to Arduino.cc and look through their forums for a better solution than just running as administrator. However, to just get a build done and get you functional, it should be just fine to run as administrator.