Tuning Drive Strength and Steps per MM on Archim 1 for V506

Well, I made the jump from 404 to v506 2.0.7 (Archim board, standard lowrider kit). Now my steppers jump and sound like crap (and steps were way off).

Aside from just sounding wrong, a move of 1mm was 32mm. This was with steps set to the default of 200. The move is also really “Jumpy” and sounds like a Goose Squawking…

I typed up a bunch of stuff and had an Aha that it might be that the stepper motor Voltage is off, and went out to try to find where that is set in Archim. It looks like it’s called “Drive Strength”?

I set steps per mm back to 200, and my drive strength (xy) to 600. This got it closer dimensionally but it’s still not quite sounding right (now like a phaser).

Looking for any guidance and tips on what your preferred process for tuning is?

I don’t have one of these boards, so this all sounds really strange to me.

Try moving very slow at first. 32x is a huge difference. And the fact that it is a power of 2 is very suspicious. Do these have adjustable microstepping?

It should move the correct distance first. The steps/mm should adjust that.

Then you should adjust the stepper current to be high enough to not skip steps while milling, but not so high that your steppers get above about 50C.

I know Ryan was working and testing just before we released 506. Maybe there was another bug right before we made that release.

So, another user and I just worked out that the microstepping setting was out of whack when they moved versions. This was the cure:

M350 S16
M351 S3 X1 Y1 Z1 E1 B1
M500

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, Got a new toy (mono X resin printer), and have been learning that.

The above gcode fixed it and it sounds and moves even better than it did on v404!
Marked as Solution, and Thank you for your support!

1 Like