TurnkeyTyranny (Inkscape Plugin)

I came across a plugin for inkscape called TurnkeyTyranny (GitHub - TurnkeyTyranny/laser-gcode-exporter-inkscape-plugin: Inkscape GCode Exporter for K40 laser cutters running Marlin) that seemed pretty interesting. In Inkscape, you set your paths and text to different layers and name the layers according to the instructions. The extension will then vector engrave/cut the paths set as vectors, and raster engrave whatever is on the raster layer.

Unfortunately, there is one thing stopping me from using this. It was created to work with Marlin firmware and RAMPS, but on a K40 laser. The author forked his own flavor of Marlin and added commands that would only work on his firmware. I could easily switch to that firmware, but I feel that I would alienate myself from all the progress happening every day here. I’m going to take a look at the python script used to generate the gcode, and see if it can be ported. Anyone else is free to help if interested! :smiley:

I’m looking at an interesting python open source program called dxftogcode that looks fairly easy to adapt to a laser as well. These both sound like useful tools. Working on something else at the moment but I’ll start working on this at some point. I know your coding skills are likely much better than mine so I’ll start with dxf2gcode and see how it goes. I code in c and c# with lots of useless vb experience too. Just started learning python , should be fun.

Do you have a link for dxftogcode? I am finding several programs under similar names (both dxf2gcode and dxftogcode).
I’m going to take a stab at TurnkeyTyranny. It looks like quite a daunting task though. I am new to python as well so please share if you find any interesting and helpful guides!

I guess there are a few versions out there. The one I’m going to check out is dxf2gcode .Has a little snake on the logo.Think its on SourceForge. I just want a quick single tool for laser engraving simple vector art.Looks like it’ll work.

Brian,

As you know by now my system uses the exact required hardware and software for the inkscape plugin mentioned above. Its funny I think, I am trying to get away from the inkscape plugin and you are looking to go towards it lol. I do not have any issues with the software however I wanted something a bit more user friendly for those who just came in wanting to burn something like an image to material. I have used the inkscape plugin but not to its full potential and that is due to my lack of understanding in all of this. Step by step in forums like this I am learning, but not fast enough. I keep looking for bits of info out there that direct me in how to setup a project from start to finish which I could duplicate in my own projects. I always get pulled away or loose my train of thought, but sometimes I loose interest because the plugins and inkscape freeze up on me. Other times I will have everything absolutely correct but the plugins will not like something (as they say in k40 community), so in that case I cut project and re paste in new document then rerun plugin to have it work. Again I do not understand any of this but sure wish I did so I could have some fun burning stuff;)

Andrew,

If you are looking for something more “plug and play”, I would suggest looking into PicLaser (http://www.picengrave.com/PicLaser.htm). It will probably be a bit more user friendly and you can hit the ground running without having to troubleshoot plugins and extensions through Inkscape or other programs. Try the demo first though before you buy it to make sure that it works with your setup. Note: I have not tried this program myself, but I have heard good things.

Bryan,

I spent the better part of over a month working with jeff at piclaser aggressively testing but his final word was that is was not possible with the forked marlin software I currently run. Believe me, I wanted so badly for that software to work due to its ease of use and the outcome. I am gettting the results I am need and want from your image2gcode version, with the same beautiful results that pic laser offered in their product. It is difficult using the image2gcode only because I have only 10-30 min/max power I can use which limits the variations for laser intensity. Where as those running diode lasers have a range 0-255, makes a difference in end result. I guess it would be like having 20 crayons or 255 to work with, the 255 will be much more colorful and offer more in regards to options. I would be happy to share with you the email threads from piclaser and myself if that would help you in your development process. Also Leo never got back to me, I posted my folder on google drive which contains my current version of marlin that I run. The version I run when uploaded says there are serious memory issues and could cause issues in my functionality of laser. Leo was going to look at the code and see what I could let go of or delete to free up space.

In all I am super pleased with your image2gcode aside from a few personal additions it works perfect for my needs as I continue to learn inkskape and the plugins offered within.