Unconventional dust collection

I mean strictly speaking it is collecting dust…

12 Likes

Seems legit

1 Like

:joy: @dpenney Do you think that is static related? I know loc-line has some anti-static options so I wonder if that would help?

LOL, I first saw this design on the Our Next Hobby YouTube channel. Is it otherwise useful, or wouldn’t you recommend it?

The old trick is to take a grand wire and run it inside the vac. Ground the other end.

1 Like

Yeah that’s where I saw it too, I found that version with a single arm was way too flexible so I modified it to this double arm design which provides a lot more support. In general I like the design but needs a better shoe and to be grounded.

1 Like

Yep definitely static, needs grounding for sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess the guy went with an open design like this to keep things light-weight and because the Makita router that he use circulates air from top to bottom or vis versa for cooling the motor, which tends to lightly blow dust away from the bit. I guess this would counteract or negatively influence the suction from a more closed system like a shoe.

My experience was that without a shoe this design was pretty much useless; I designed and printed a quick shoe that attaches to the nozzle, still pretty open so you can see what’s going on but it’s gone from about 5% effective to upwards of 90%+ just need to adjust the skirt so there’s no gap at the back (under the tube) and put a bit of a top/rim on it.

3 Likes

Wow, nice! Thanks for sharing this! I’ll totally do something similar once I finish my Primo. I hope you keep us posted with your progress!

Wait, so you guys are pulling vac through the blue flex not pushing compressed air? That seems amazing that the small tube can flow enough to keep up.

Yeah I was dubious too, the hose on my Fein vac is 1 3/8" and the loc line is 3/4" ID, so it’s reducing the diameter by about .5" but even with that reduction it still manages to do a pretty good job.

1 Like

I’m the one that made the My Next Hobby video.

A little late to the party here but @dpenney got it right. When i made the video I had only tested it a little bit. Definitely need some way to ground the vacuum hose to prevent the static. And Having a ring or shoe will for sure help collect the dust better and stop it from blowing around a ton. The open design I used helps a little but what @dpenney made is for sure a better option!

I did end up finding this flat nozzle for the loc-line that helps a little bit more. But a full shoe is definitely a better option.

1 Like