Under the roar of the air raid siren, we are building LowRider 3

I live in Ukraine. There is a war going on in my country against the Russian occupiers. Despite all the horror, in my free time I try to build my little dream - CNC.

Before the war, I watched the v1engineering projects for a very long time, but did not dare to build one of the cnc projects. I freaked out, I decided to make LowRider 3 from what I have and what I can get.

I apologize in advance for the confusion. I will add more photos and videos if possible. The project will be a test for me.

17 Likes

9 мая 2022 года я решил начать строительство LowRider 3. Я загружаю модели для 3D-печати и начинаю длинную печать. Вот небольшой результат.

3 Likes

Looks really good. I hope you stay safe.

4 Likes

Due to disrupted transport logistics, there is a problem with the acquisition of materials and components. A temporary solution was to use furniture pipes with a diameter of 25mm.

9 Likes

Thanks, I think everything will be fine.

5 Likes

Good solution.

I think you may want more braces. They should not be spaced more than about 180mm apart.

Stay safe!

3 Likes

I accept your information. As a result, the X axis came out 1.5 meters. Brace - by the number of 6 pieces. the extreme parts with 60% filling, the rest 45% each. At first glance, it looks tough, without hesitation and sagging. LR Core without router moves without disturbing the structure. If at full it turns out that the design is broken, you can strengthen it by adding another Brace detail.

1 Like

For 1.5m span, I would want a minimum of 8, and would consider 9 braces for rigidity. The default CAD for full sheet is 1.4m and 8 braces.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you.

1 Like

I wish you the best, Evgeniy. Horrible situation over there.

Here is my LR3, while it was under construction:

4 Likes

Thank you so much. Your LR3 cheered me up, it’s beautiful. The situation is terrible, but we need to move on. I believe that we will be able to protect our country and freedom. Other countries have not stood aside and are helping us. We win, thanks again for your support.

9 Likes

Today came a new coil of plastic 2.5 kg. Testing plastic print cable chain for my LR3

6 Likes

Bless you for the courage you and your countrymen have shown, I cannot understand the worlds lack of action against Russia. Stay safe and continue to try to enjoy life.

Thank you. Other countries help as they can. This is our war, our payback for our mistakes. The truth is behind us, we will defend our freedom.

2 Likes

But let’s not talk about the bad. Following the advice Dan gave me, I printed three more Brace pieces at 45% infill. Distance between segments +- 170 mm. With the LR-core and router fully assembled, the total weight is 2.8 kg. Movement along the X axis without sagging and jamming. The axle came out very stiff, thanks for the tip Dan.

8 Likes

Started printing XZ_plate today. Model slightly redesigned for 200mm MGN12. Printing will be long, I hope everything will turn out;)

1 Like

Good afternoon. After reading the forum, I noticed that everyone is using the BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board. I ran into a problem with purchasing this device. At the time of the war, there is neither the possibility nor the means to purchase this BTT SKR Pro 1.2 board and a BTT TFT35 E3 touchscreen. How critical would it be to use a previously purchased arduino mega + ramps 1.6?

There is firmware for the ramps 1.4, which I think is the same software as the 1.6. If not, then it should be an easy edit.

I don’t have enough experience with the 1.6 to know the difference. But I bet it would be fine.

1 Like

I built the Mrlin firmware for RAMPS 1.6 Dual Endstop and partially tested it. I’m more concerned about the 8bit controller, if there will be problems with a large amount of G-code work. And how to properly redesign the LR3 control box case for RAMPS.

2 Likes

Triangle filling - 80%, plate thickness 16.4 mm.

2 Likes