Universal Gcode Sender Vs Repetier Host

Hi overyone, I just finished my MPCNC PRIMO with a SKR and firmware 2.0.7.2
I just started to do some drawing tests before start cutting.

What software do you recommend to use for? UGS or REPETIER HOST?
I would like to configure my TOUCH PLATE … is it possible with both?

thank you
Massimo

UGS is for grbl. RH is for Marlin. You just have to squint and ignore all the words like “print” and “heat” and just imagine it says “cut”.

The touch plate works regardless of the sender software. It will be wired into the zmin port (s and -, don’t use +) and G28 Z will send Z down until it touches. You can test with M119 before trying the G28.

ok, sorry, then I didn’t understand!
With MCPrimo and pre-compiled Marlin firmware you need to use ONLY Repetier Host!
OK?

Massimo

Take a look at the software workflow. It doesn’t have to be repetier host, but I am mostly sure UGS won’t work with Marlin. Cncjs, pronterface, pronsole, these all work.

Jeff,

Can you put GRBL on to the RAMBO board? I’m curious as UGS looks much better than RH to me. Things like overrides, reset zero and the DRO make it easy for newbs like me. I’m not saying RH doesn’t do those things it’s just how simple UGS makes it.

Thanks for your work on this!

There is a port of grbl 5x for rambo (that is a fork of a fork if you’re keeping track).

Have you tried cncjs?

No, I probably do need to take a look at that! I probably should have done that before UGS, I got off on a tangent…

Thanks Jeff I’ll look at it! I’m having a blast figuring this thing out, you guys have done some amazing work! TY!

Hi Jeff I did check it out and it looks great. I cannot figure out why the “work position” doesn’t update though. I see there is a long thread on WCS from 2019 and early 2020. I am not sure if that’s what I’m experiencing or not. If it is it seems like another knock on Marlin… Let me know if I’m missing something and that the work position should update as that’s going to keep me from using it. I like the tool otherwise, it will be a big help especially with your pi image!

Thanks!

There is setting in Marlin to enable other G54 coordinates. I don’t use them myself, so I don’t know how well they work with cncjs.

interesting I will have to see what I can find out…