Upcut bits or downcut bits for a novice...?

Y-van what is ER11 ?

Thanks m8, very explanatory…we don’t want fire…and yes I’ve worked with plunge routers on mdf and it always at some point end up smelling as it’s going to light up the day :rofl:

I’ll stick to 1 flute and upcut bits then and see how it goes.

It’s a standardized collet size. Kind of like NEMA-17 is a standardized motor size, or M3 is a standardized connector size.

Thanks @kvcummins , I’ll do a search with that and see if I can source it local.

Cheers,

Ordered these to see if they’ll work…never seen or used anything like it before, so I’ll to check how to securely use them. At the end I’m interested on the 1/8 one so I can abuse Ryan’s bits too…
Will report back when I have them delivered…

Cheers and thanks,

3pcs ER11 CNC pinza de alta precisión para la máquina de grabado CNC Fresadora torno herramienta del titular 1/8 pulgada (3.175 mm) 4 mm 6 mm https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07DK8HF4B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_irbuFbJ5GFTG0

I don’t think they were ever intended to fit, but they do… well. The taper matches up and there is no more runout than with the OEM collet.

Please let us know if you agree when you receive yours.

I would say though generally I only use single flute bits for cutting plastic I generally don’t use them for cutting wood generally only use two flutes for wood. However, i dont see any issue using them on wood

@Y-van Thanks for the info, it’s been very interesting to run a few videos on Collet on Youtube and find out a whole new world, regarding my ordered collet from Amazon, I’ve just test fitted them and it looks like a tight one. If everything goes as planned I should be running the LR2 this weekend on the Makita cheap copy to test it on foam first…Will report as soon as I have tried but so far I think the ER11 collet is a super cheap and good solution…Thanks.

Àlex

@grinchdubs Thanks I wasn’t sure on what to use for first cuts, as I’m going for foam and then probably plywood…I’ll use the 2flute bit and I’ve ordered an Upcut bit too…Now need some reading through V1’s milling guide to understand depth and feed rates to make sure I don’t break my bits on rune the work…

Thanks,

Àlex

1 Like

Today I received this bit, CMT bits are told to be of high quality, I’ve used a few on regular routers and I can say they last sharp longer than the cheap ones.

1 Like

That isn’t a well formed IP address :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@jeffeb3 by the way, need some advice from you, can I connect a fan to any of the fan ports on the SKR 1.2 pro board to cool the drivers ? If so, would any of those 40x10x10 12V fans from a 3D printer work?

Cheers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you’re using 12V PSU, then any 12V fan would work. I wouldn’t bother turning it on and off with the SKR, just wire it straight into the PSU.

Ok, good point there…I didn’t see that one coming…:rofl: :clap: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Anybody using the DeWalt,Katsu or Makita router on a 1/4" single or double flute bit for wood?

I’d be interested to know if LR2 is capable of taking it or if it’s too much drag for it ???

Cheers,

Àlex

Yea, dewalt, 2 flute quarter inch.

That video isn’t working. Can you paste it as a link, so it doesn’t try to embed it?

@barry99705 thanks, what feed speed, rpm and depth of cut are you using…just for having an idea on how to do my first test without breaking anything…cheers.

I dont use enything els but CMT, good stuff

1 Like

I’ve only used them on regular plunge routers and I agree with you on that, they’re top quality.

By the way, what router are you using on your LowRider ? I’m trying to guess a good speed and depth of cut as a starter on a 1/8 or 1/4 single or double flute bit…would like to try some cuts on plywood or MDF.

Cheers,

Àlex