Upcut bits or downcut bits for a novice...?

@Y-van Thanks for the info, it’s been very interesting to run a few videos on Collet on Youtube and find out a whole new world, regarding my ordered collet from Amazon, I’ve just test fitted them and it looks like a tight one. If everything goes as planned I should be running the LR2 this weekend on the Makita cheap copy to test it on foam first…Will report as soon as I have tried but so far I think the ER11 collet is a super cheap and good solution…Thanks.

Àlex

@grinchdubs Thanks I wasn’t sure on what to use for first cuts, as I’m going for foam and then probably plywood…I’ll use the 2flute bit and I’ve ordered an Upcut bit too…Now need some reading through V1’s milling guide to understand depth and feed rates to make sure I don’t break my bits on rune the work…

Thanks,

Àlex

1 Like

Today I received this bit, CMT bits are told to be of high quality, I’ve used a few on regular routers and I can say they last sharp longer than the cheap ones.

1 Like

That isn’t a well formed IP address :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@jeffeb3 by the way, need some advice from you, can I connect a fan to any of the fan ports on the SKR 1.2 pro board to cool the drivers ? If so, would any of those 40x10x10 12V fans from a 3D printer work?

Cheers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you’re using 12V PSU, then any 12V fan would work. I wouldn’t bother turning it on and off with the SKR, just wire it straight into the PSU.

Ok, good point there…I didn’t see that one coming…:rofl: :clap: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Anybody using the DeWalt,Katsu or Makita router on a 1/4" single or double flute bit for wood?

I’d be interested to know if LR2 is capable of taking it or if it’s too much drag for it ???

Cheers,

Àlex

Yea, dewalt, 2 flute quarter inch.

That video isn’t working. Can you paste it as a link, so it doesn’t try to embed it?

@barry99705 thanks, what feed speed, rpm and depth of cut are you using…just for having an idea on how to do my first test without breaking anything…cheers.

I dont use enything els but CMT, good stuff

1 Like

I’ve only used them on regular plunge routers and I agree with you on that, they’re top quality.

By the way, what router are you using on your LowRider ? I’m trying to guess a good speed and depth of cut as a starter on a 1/8 or 1/4 single or double flute bit…would like to try some cuts on plywood or MDF.

Cheers,

Àlex

Fixed link, forgot linking video to google photos is funky.

No idea anymore. I don’t think you can break them with the lowrider though. Well, I’m sure you can, just don’t try full depth of cut slotting in oak…

So far (even tho I’ve purchased 1/8" bits from Ryan) 1/4" 2 flute upcut spirals is all i’ve used. I was getting the diablo ones from Home Depot, but now I get the Bosch ones from Lowe’s and they seem to last longer.

On that note, I’ve mostly been cutting bigger stuff in 3/4" so the length needed to be there, and only the 1/4" give me that depth. I do have a 1/8" Bosch 2 flute upcut bit, that is 1/4" shank when I need to do smaller stuff. One day I’m going to finally break open all the bits I got from Ryan and give them a shot. I just haven’t been cutting alot since our world got turned upside down. sigh

2 Likes

Hi Alex

I use a Markita 700cx2j, great machine

1 Like

@Tsander … I decided to buy the makita RT0700C replica called Katsu as a start point…

I like the dust shoe on yours…

This weekend I’ll try it on wood for the first time, soft plywood to be exact…any tips on speeds and depth of cut and machine rpms? I intend to do 2 tests on 1/8 and 1/4 bits…single flute both…

Thanks

Thanks for sharing the info…I really appreciate it…:+1:

@AlexBondCat I use 2 flute upcuts bits shaft 8mm, go with 800 mm pr min and 1.5 mm doc. Thats works fin for me. 6 - 12 mm

1 Like

Thanks @Tsander I’ll do my first wood testing this weekend and will start with those numbers and see how things go…will report with results.

Cheers,

Àlex