Upgrading from LR2 to LR3 questions

I’ve started to put things together at a very slow pace as I still need to source myself with some hardware and need to cut the YZ plates and the strut brace on the LR2…here’s where I have a problem and need some help, my PC crashed and needed a fresh software instal, due to this I’ve lost my feed and speed and tool info, can any of you @jeffeb3 @vicious1 @SupraGuy or any of the LR2 experts recommend feeds and speeds and depth of cut for MDF on a single flute?

I would appreciate your feedback a lot as I’m stuck at the moment…

Thanks,

Àlex

Start with the milling basics page.

8mm/s 3mmDOC increase depth and speed from there. Use a full depth finishing pass of about 0.5mm.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan. I’ll do so, although I remember going a bit deeper and faster after a few cuts I can’t remember how much faster and deeper…meanwhile I’ve gone mad and I decided to print the parts and see if they can withstand the rigidity test…fingers crossed. :rofl:

Here’s the prove of my madness…

3 Likes

Could you all LR3 builders tell me what conduit wall-size are you using? I’m finding that most of what I can find locally is a 1,5mm wall which I’m not too sure if it’s enough, specially for the X axis.

Thanks,

Àlex

I’m using .065" wall 1" tube for my X axis, which is 1.65mm

Standard US 3/4" electrical conduit is thicker, but much weaker material so that it can be bent to shape. Your 1.5mm wall steel tube will be fine.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, then I’ll go this weekend and source myself with proper tubes…although I need to design my table first as I want to change a few things from the old LR2 and probable go folding and enclosed table…mmm…need a lot of thinking.

1 Like

Going slowly but will get there, today I started dismantling the LR2 too…have a table design in my head that needs to go through Fusion360 for real accurate mesures. So far very happy with the new design…great job again @vicious1

5 Likes

Oh yeah !!! All parts with motors, endstops and pulleys done, now waiting for the linear rails to arrive…meanwhile I’m going to design my folding and enclosed table.

3 Likes

hey! I think I see a cameo appearance of my remixed electronics case and TFT holder! Congrats on the great progress!

And I must say it works the treat…great job. :clap:

If you get a chance, post your “make” of it on Printables.com!

Sure

1 Like

Could somebody tell me the width between the 2 Y moving guide-lines as per pic attached…thanks.

EDIT: Just scaled the image as accurate as I could on Autocad and have all the info I needed. Cheers

Is there a chance to add a chamfer to the base of the screw taps? I’ve already broken one, my fault for overtightening it…but chamfering might help a bit.

Pic for reference…:rofl:

Hey, what is this in regard to?

First of all don’t take offence please :rofl: . I mean adding a chamfer or so where the screw insert meets the box base to hold the SKR board and the Screen. I hope the image helps a bit more than my horrible explanation.
In any case, I’m very happy with the design as it is !!!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the clarification. Regarding the instance of breakage due to over tightening, could be that the screw was too long? I’m pondering on breakage versus merely a stripping of the hole out. If I gave a suggested length of screw, and it was that length that was used, and it’s too long, I need to edit my description in the Printables.com link.

Ok people, I’ve been very busy at work and had no spare time to keep on building my LR3. Today I managed to finally put the sides together and bolted them to the X carriage…it looks beautiful !!! At the moment I’m rethinking my foldable -portable table and will probably end up going on Alum 6030 T-slots to get a nice flat, somehow stiff and low-weight table bed.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you at the moment 100% sure, but it could well be me using the wrong screw length, I have some screws mixed up on the 8-10-12 mm lenghts…from previous projects had them wrongly classified in my small screw boxes.

1 Like