US Flag

Just a couple small projects.

6 Likes

One Texas and one Colorado. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks amazing…

Can you share your process on the star inlays… and potentially your SVG. I’ve been wanting to do inlay for a while now.

Thanks

First, let me commend you for very nice work.

Second, let me apologize in advance for defacing (virtually) your artwork.

[attachment file=110245]

2 Likes

Jamie, now I’m questioning if any of your projects are real. How fast can you make a triple decker MPCNC?

Lol! Well I’m afraid this is the best I can do on short notice. I’m no expert, just the simplest things.

And darn the extra center assemblies keep falling down.

1 Like

Everything I’ve ever known is a lie.

(Sorry for the distractions, SandX. Great work).

Thank you! The stars are actually carved with a 3/8" v bit, I havent actually tried to do inlays yet, but they are on the “To do” list. I made the svg for the union in Inkscape. I can post it up tomorrow if you are still interested.

1 Like

I have actually considered making the next one in the shape of the US. Maybe add a clock to them or something. I’ve been getting $125 for the regular flag ones. It helps pay for my hobby??

1 Like

Thank you!??

Good Lord! I have no words!?

Thanks Sandx… Yea, inlay has been on my list for a while, but all those other projects keep getting in the way. I have been building walnut and maple flags and leaving the union blank. Would love to do maple inlay in the walnut union. I’ll get there one of these days.

Thanks again… nice work… and that a great price on the flags!

As a (displaced) Texan, I love this!

1 Like

Stunning!

Not displaced but Texan… I love it, too!

1 Like

Would you be able share the details of the vbit youre using and roughly how long it was taking you? I was approached to just make some unions but the 1/8 v bit I have will take forever if I use that.

Those stars though! I’ve had middling success with mine because the wood keeps moving high or low. I just… can’t… get it flat!

This is the V bit I use, I’m sure you can find better, but these are pretty common at the big box store. I’m not 100% sure on the time, but I think it was about 30mins to cut the stars. Sorry for the late response, my world has been quite busy. Lol

1 Like

Ok, I actually had similar issues at first. The first thing I do now is start with a good 1x10x10. Find one that has good visual grain. After cutting them to length I gone them a one over with 220 grit and a palm sander. Next I use a torch to burn both the front and back surface, and the ends. I don’t burn the glue joints. The next part I find most critical. You have to alternate the wood so that the grain patterns complement each other. Think of a sign wave. The wave goes up and down. If all your grain is going the same way, the piece will cup and twist no matter what you do. After I have a good layout, I find which side looks best, and mark the other side 1-13. After the saying is applied I give it a few hours to dry, then I turn all the wood so that I’m looking at the glue joints, clamp them together. I use a cheap foam brush to apply the glue, this makes it easier to not get glue everywhere. Now we are on to the second most critical part. I lay them back flat and pull each one down into the jig I made, once I get all the pieces squared up, I use 3 short boards and 6 clamps to push the wood flat. After that all you have to do is use a few more clamps to squeeze all the pieces together while the other clamps are still applying downwards force. This has given me the best results. I leave it clamped for 3-4hrs, then take the clamps off and let it set with a flat piece of plywood with some weights on it, depending on when I plan on cutting the stars. I recommend using a satin clear right after cutting the stars to keep the moisture out. I hope this helps you out, it’s been kinda a trial and error thing so far. Each time I find a new way to do something either easier, or quicker.:beers::sunglasses:

Wow thanks for the reply. Lots of detail there. Three are a couple people out here making similar pieces so I’m not sure I want to compete with them and race to the bottom on price so I’m working on something I don’t think they can do but also fills the need :wink: I do have a couple friends who would prefer I make one for them, so I may try again yet.