using Cut Calculator

Based on

The smaller the machine the more rigid it will be, the faster you can push it. I recommend starting with a foot print of 24″ X 24″ Outer Dimensions with a 3-4″ usable height.

From: https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/conduit-rails-tubes-pipes/

Is the 24 by 24 the max work area for cutting? Seems like no, but wanted to ask.

I want to be able to cut at least 1 feed by 2 feet . Or a bit larger say 20 inch by 28 inch material.

But I read on the site that you should not go over 36 without adding bracing. Is that 36 inches in overall rail length or cutting area? My guess is it relates to overall length but wanted to ask.

I am planning to use 1 inch OD stainless steel rails. Or maybe 1 in OD metal rails.

Does not seem like a big deal to add supports during the build so I might just do it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cut what?

Foam<steel. There are no exact numbers because it is not 28" works and 28.01" does not. The larger your build the slower you need to cut to keep the same accuracy, at the same time the more perfect your CAM numbers need to be.

For example in wood on a average size build lets say 2mm/s-18mm/s milling speed, on one twice that size that window might go down to 5.5-6.5mm/s not to mention depth of cut, RPM, tolerances, etc.

If you are new to all of this build it small, learn what a good cut sounds like. When you figure things out on that large CAM window, build a bigger machine if you need it for a few more dollars in conduit and you can go into a larger size with confidence.

Thanks Ryan. Should have said soft wood and plywood.

For: “X-Axis Desired Work Width” in the calculator the default is 12 inch.

Is this the size you recommend to start with? What is the most you recommend pushing it?

Thanks again for all your hard work on this project! It is awesome.

The smaller the easier, there is no magic number. A 3"x 3"x .5" build would be stupidly easy to use but not very useful.

When you recommend “24″ X 24″ Outer Dimensions” Would this mean

3 Rails X = 24 inch +264mm (10.4in)

3 Rails Y = 24 inch+264mm (10.4in)

Thanks again!

I’m thinking the numbers are based on the work areas. If you find the conduit isn’t rigid enough, just add midspan supports. Easy peasy.