V Carve and post processors..Again

I know this issue pops up from time to time, but I wanted to opinions before I consider spending the money on V Carve. How many of you have been using the Marlin processor with your lowrider and how has it been working out for you? I downloaded the trial for v carve and installed the Marlin processor to cut out some of the sample files and it seemed to be fine. I just am curious how other people’s experiences have been with their real world files and cuts. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @dgosssigep
TLDR; Marlin works fine :slight_smile:
I’ve been using Marlin on a Rambo 1.4 with a Lowrider 2. I use cncjs running on an rpi4 with gcode generated by Estlcam and f-engrave (which needs some post clean up anyway). Haven’t had any problem with the cuts that I would associate with Marlin.
In cncjs there is a slightly annoying bug related to Marlin that requires you to click on the command console and enter something (I do M114) to get a reaction from the board before the rest of the interface can send commands. But that’s just part of my routine now.
Also cncjs/Marlin related…the coordinate widget does not update unless you send an M114. The code all runs fine and the coordinates are correct but the widget doesn’t show it unless forced. I looked into Marlin realtime reporting modifications being worked on here but realized I needed to focus on learning how to carve stuff :slightly_smiling_face: and maybe an update down the road by more capable coders would fix it.
That said…I haven’t updated my board in 6 months - I don’t know if it’s resolved.

1 Like

I close and reopen the connection in CNCjs, does the same.

I know that the Marlin firmware works fine on a lowrider. I have it up and running fine with a Rambo 1.4. I’m asking about the Marlin post processor software that you install inside of V carve software to produce toolpaths that is usable on a lowrider that is running marlin. I am thinking of buying Vectrics v carve software and I’m trying to get opinions as to how it’s been working for people who have tried it.

1 Like

I shouldn’t answer questions before my second coffee.

Fwiw I’d be surprised if there was a Marlin specific problem in vcarve given the postprocessing between flavours seems like such a simple task and vcarve is such a robust product. That said my experience is with Marlin, not vcarve and marlin.

2 Likes

I don’t use Malin but use v-carve and grbl v-carve is wonderful I have heard wonderful stories but no first hand knowledge with Marlin

1 Like

I have used Vcarve Desktop for a year on my MPCNC running Marlin. There is some discussion of the software and a link to my post processor here. This software is excellent and I have had absolutely zero problems with it and highly recommend it. Although limited to 25x25 inches, it has excellent tiling software that allows you to do bigger projects with very little additional work. And you can always upgrade to the pro version to get unlimited project size. I would definitely go for the Vcarve Pro if I were running a Lowrider.

3 Likes

Thank you for the input. I had read a few threads and everything seemed positive, but I wanted to hear from some real world users since I would buy the pro. My lowrider can use a whole sheet of plywood so like you said, might as well get the software that can use the whole area.

Darwin, thanks for the help anyway. I really appreciate how you and everyone always are here to assist with any questions people have!

I’ve ditched Marlin altogether, it’s meant for 3D printing and ultimately not the best long term solution for CNC work IMHO.

I went with an Arduino Uno and CNC shield to run my lowrider, it’s actually the least expensive easy to go and very stable. Running GRBL1.1.

Estlelcam works well with this combination as do the Vectric products.

I’m going to build a new machine at some point and will then run Mach3 on it.

If you invest in V-carve (highly recommended), then consider ditching Marlin. Again IMHO.

1 Like

That is some good info. Before I really knew there was different firmware like Marlin and grbl, I was going to try out easel, but then I figured out it wasn’t going to happen. I think I may get the board for a grbl set up then I can have both to test them out side by side. Do you have any good references on setting up Arduino for the lowrider?

1 Like

It’s actually really simple. You just load GRBL 1.1 onto the Arduino, the CNC shield did on top of that. That’s it. Then you set the GRBL peramiters.

You are welcome to have a look at my file, it’s pretty much self explanatory. It’s a text file, just change the extension from zip to txt. Grbl-2021-03-14.zip (1.4 KB) sent

That sounds great. I am definitely going to look into it! Thanks!

I have been using VcarvePro for about 6 years and I absolutely love it. SO much more intuitive than Fusion 360! And it is made for woodworking. I recently built my portable Primo, with Marlin and RAMPS. Once I found the Vectric post processor for Marlin here on the forum, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. You can see my first projects here.

My only suggestion would be to consider Aspire instead of VcarvePro if you plan on carving 3D models of your own design.

Thanks Steve! The one thing I like about the Vectrics platform is the ability to upgrade products for just the price difference between the two products. I have downloaded the trial for vcarve pro and I had a simple sign created within the hour. Maybe it’s just me, but I barely had a few lines made in fusion.

1 Like

It’s not just you, David. I, and students of mine, repeatedly get stuck on some small thing in F360. Like wasting an hour trying to move a design because it was locked to the origin. Or ruining a day’s work because you didn’t pay careful attention to where you were in the Timeline. And where is a V bit in tools? Nowhere. You must use a chamfer mill.

With Vectric, things just work. And support is very good. By contrast, bugs in F360 I reported years ago are still waiting to get enough upvotes for Autodesk to consider fixing them.

1 Like

Have a look at Mark Lindsay’s, videos on You Tube. He’s got great videos to get you productive immediately!