V-carve Metals?

Anyone here tried v-carving aluminium or brass or any metal in general using the 45 degree v-bit from V1 shop? I’d be quite interested to hear from you!

I’ve been hypothesising about trying to v-carve cursive text into wood, and then fill it with an equally v-carved-out aluminium/brass cursive text to stick inside. Doesn’t have to be this application but I’m genuinely curious to have an answer coz i’m exploring what things can be pulled off on this machine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did a few small and thin aluminum sheets for keychains. They can handle it, but try to go shallow passes if you can.
If you’re trying to inlay, that’s gonna be tough to clean up because the wood is so much softer it will probably wear away from the aluminum when you sand it. Might have to start the cleanup with a facing path or something.

If you want a metallic inlay in wood use epoxy and metal powder. Aluminum, brass and copper work well and can be worked with wood tools (planer,jointer,lathe). My best results are when the powder to epoxy are more of a putty.

3 Likes

It doesn’t do a good job, but works. Not sure it would work in your application though.

5 Likes

Oh, dear god… now my OCD is triggered. Maybe I can photoshop the tag straight and re-upload the image…

note: Yes, I know it’s not really OCD, but it does make the base of my brain itch to look at it…

1 Like

Drill moved on me. Was a work ladder, so I really didn’t care that much to fix it.

1 Like