v1pi: Raspberry Pi Image with Octoprint and CNC.js (and wifi hotspot)

I have been testing image.

I am having a lot of buttons greyed out on cncjs on tablet and phone. cncjs appears to be working fine on windows computer chrome.

Is this normal that cncjs does not play well with touchscreen or android? Octoprint seems to be fully functioning with no limitations from all devices.

Which buttons? Are you sure it isn’t related to connection state ir machine state?

Enable webcam. Most of the setting buttons. I don’t have my machine wired up at the moment so don’t expect to have access to machine controls. A lot of these buttons I can play with on windows pc but not on android phone or tablet. I have tried chrome and firefox.

You’re right. I never noticed that. I am not sure if that is intentional or accidental. I would make an issue on the cncjs github, and see if they are interested in fixing it.

I will be connecting everything back up in the next day or two and going to try it again while connected to the board to see if that changes anything. I will submit a request to github if nothing changes. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

im looking to purchase the archim board (and everything else) shortly and was wondering if it could be ran and used on this image to update firmware for this board. Would this program still be needed with v1pi?

i guess i should also mention i like the idea of using a physical joystick too lol.

V1pi should work with an archim board (I don’t have one, but @scrounge79 does).

To update the firmware, I am sure it cam be done from the pi, but not sure how to do that. You’d be venturing into new territory there.

The joystick should also work, but that again is new territory, and you’d have to figure a lot of that out.

1 Like

hrmm seems like octopi already has this feature built in as a plug-in

and it seems that the archim is “It is an original RAMBo style design with the Atmel SAM3X8E processor (same as Arduino Due) and DRV8825 stepper drivers all on one integrated PCB” as pulled from the shop page so i should be able to update firmware through octoprint/octopi correct??

That firmware updater uses avrdude. I don’t know if the archim can be flashed with avrdude, since it is not an avr processor.

You don’t need to flash firmware often, so it is worth getting and risk it. Let us know what you find out.

1 Like

I use avrdude since I have ramps-equivalent, but the plugin supports these board families:

The ‘bossac’ sounds plausible but since I haven’t used it I can’t say. Apparently you also have to build bossac from source. You can’t just apt-get the flashing tool. https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint-FirmwareUpdater

I recently had octopi (not your image) stall during a print.In the same print i had a layer shift which also had not recently happen.
(1)Do you think that incorrect shutdowns of the pi would be a likely cause?

(2)If you believe that is the likely cause would reflashing the card cure the corruption?
(3) is there any reason why my 3d printer (creality ender3 running creality firmware) would not be able to be controlled by the cnc.js program?

Im hoping to prove to my wife that i an make money with a cnc router and figure attaching a dremel to my printer would be a efficient proof of concept

1. I do not. I imagine that every file that needed to be used was already used. The sd card failures should be catastrophic, and quick.

2. Reflashing shouls fix it if it was corruption.

3. I haven’t used cnc.js for printing, but it should work just fine.

Check your gcode. Print the same gcode file from the SD card in the lcd, ir from repetier host. I don’t suspect octoprint ir octopi at all. If the LCD print works, then I would ask at the octoprint forums, where they will know a lot more about it.

1 Like

Guess im gonna need to find a way to log directly into the pi. This was with the 0.17.0 no hotspot image

I guess it should have Internet since you are connected to the pi. There isn’t a proxy or something?

Pip is definitely installed. It is needed to install octoprint, and it is at least in that virtualenv. the virtualenv is also what runs octoprint, so it should be installed.

I have definitely installed plugins, so I suspect the second error about the internet connection is the real problem.

If you want to get a terminal, ssh is the way.

Im connected to my wireless network, but there is no internet on it. I have downloaded the zip file and was going to use the local archive option but cant because of the pip issue… weird

Ah, I haven’t tested that. Is pip still going to be used? It may need to install dependencies not included in the .zip. Maybe ask on the octoprint forums. This image is based on the octopi image, so it should behave very similarly. If you do, shoot me a link so I can monitor it.

Ok found the solution gotta change a ttl setting

Huh. I wouldn’t have guessed that. Thanks!

HI, there is a way to update CNCjs by terminal? I ran npm install -g cncjs@latest but when i open the V1 webinterface it still tells me i am in version 1.9.15 instead of 1.9.21 (i dont want ro reformat the full PI as i have many configurations on my octoprint). Thanks a lot for this great software.

Not sure where it is getting 15…

That is how I install it when building the image. IIRC, the unsafe perm has to do with my build environment, but maybe that is the difference?

1 Like