v1pi: Raspberry Pi Image with Octoprint and CNC.js (and wifi hotspot)

Can you open the co sole window?

I had this problem when I was connecting using the wrong port. Click the down arrow and see if you have another option – when I pick the right one, it works much better. :slight_smile:

Has anyone used this image to set up a standalone pi instead of having to remote in? I went ahead and picked up a 7" touch screen to give this a shot.

7" Touch Screen

I had to run quite a few lines of code to get ldxe, chromium, and autostart all working. But the end result is that my pi serves up the octopi/linuxjs splash page after it boots. If you create a little heavier image that includes the gui, this would be a pretty straightforward deployment though. Food for thought.

Ultimately I’ll print a case to hold everything and treat it as a handheld controller I think. (I don’t have any expectations of it working with the plasma cutter, so i’ll make it easily detachable.)

Demo Video

I don’t want to have to make any more kinds of images, and running the desktop is very resource intensive (when you’re not using it, it is a big waste). It isn’t too hard to install it from the lite image, and you could also just install raspian on a separate pi, and have it be 100% wireless, with the screened pi talking to the server one.

You might also want to check out the TouchUI plugin for octoprint, and there is a shopfloor tablet interface for cncjs. They both make interacting with a touch screen much easier. There is also the octoremote app in the arduino store which works pretty well for octoprint.

I’m also getting the “forbidden access” on CNC.js at port 5080, but no issues at 8000. I’m new to the Pi stuff… how do I edit the landing page to change the port to default to 8000?

Ssh in.

Run this to open the editor:

nano landingPage/templates/landingPage.html

Then find the line that says this:

<a href="#" onclick="javascript:window.location.port=5080">

And change the 5080.

You can also take the pi out, and edit that file on the sd card. It will be home/pi/landingPage/templates/landingPage.html

What browser and OS are you accessing from to get that error?

Thanks, that did the trick!

I am using Windows 10, both Chrome and Edge gave the same result. However, if I manually type in the IP address rather than “v1pi.local”, the port 5080 link works.

That is odd. The port 8000 works when you use the v1pi.local address from the landingpage now?

Yep, seems to be fine.

Although, after leaving the pi running for about 10 minutes (but browsers closed), then opening up again, CNC.js says “stopped” and won’t restart until a hard reboot of the pi.

@masato

What PI are you using? I’;m having the same issue with a Raspberry Pi 4. Work has got in the way of me looking into it.

Rob

What version of v1pi are you using?

I’m using V0.17.1 no hotspot on a Pi 3B (no plus).

1 Like

Ok. That’s really cool. I need to pull the code down and see if I can add a button for ‘test-fire’ the laser. It also looks like I’d have to put the Z homing into a gcode file and load it instead of it being a button.

Here are some great instructions for it on the v1pi:

I’m using stock CNC js.

I don’t have a reason to have both octoprint and cncjs on the same pi as my machines are all over the shop. Plus I have full wifi in the shop, so no need to hotspot.

1 Like

If you’re running it on a pi, the instructions should be close to the same. Just find your config file and point it to the code you downloaded.

There is a docker image for cncjs. I have considered changing to that instead of managing the services using linux. The main reason I went with the octopi image is because it sets up the pi well. I would have to look through the fixes they have amd recreate them in a cncjs only image.

1 Like

I thought about trying all this pendant stuff, but found so much easier to just launch and connect another instance of CNC.js on my mini iPad. And it’s truly wireless. All commands and my custom commands available. Works good enough for me.

I think the phone sized interface doesn’t have the same room. And it can be tricky when it is sized for keyboards and mice. But it is definitely good that you found your way.

Yes, the sizing is a bit quirky, but not too bad, I’m making it work. It’s even better on my larger work iPad.

1 Like