V1Pi v0.18.0

Wow this is nice, after spend way to long trying to install cnc.js by hand and with another image… This one worked pretty much out of the box.
I installed it on the pi zero W 2.
I had some issues.

1. Didn’t sign in automatically, so I had to login using keyboard and a screen on it and change that. This can be confusing if you boot it up and do not have a screen you will be waiting a long time. You can set auto sign in in raspi-config

2. Webcam only worked after I did a sudo apt-get upgrade and enabled it again in the raspi-config. And it only works in octoprint not in CNC.js. But it works which is great!

1 Like
  1. Why do you need auto sign in? You’re connecting to the web interface and it starts without anyone signed in. You can also ssh in if you need to with on the command line.

2. Thanks. I haven’t tried it in a pi zero 2 w (still). I did test with a USB camera and my pi 4. What camera did you use?

1 Like

Legacy camera.
That sign in stuff, it was hanging on sign in before it booted anything else. No idea why.
Only issue I have is that octoprint it is in a fight over control with my btt touchscreen. :sob:

1 Like

The first boot takes a minute. But mine sit on the login screen and still run the web services in the background.

I have not tested the legacy camera. The image is based on the octopi image. So I am surprised it isn’t already working. But I’m glad you got it figured out.

Octoprint and the TFT screen in TFT mode both talk over serial (but on different ports). I imagine if you don’t go back and forth quickly, they would coexist. Or you can put the screen in Marlin mode. What kind of symptoms does that show up as?

It seems to be in a fight with the SD card access, but anyway I don’t have a V1 machine or setup so not really expecting you to solve my minor issues/inconvenience just sharing my experience if you got similar issues or solutions we can maybe help each other out but I realize this is a support form for v1 engineering.

About my setup:
I have 2 screens on my octopus the default marlin and the BTT touch screen on an extension cord. I did this because I couldn’t extend the marlin cables. Although by now I got the extension cables, I just left it as it is for now.
Result is that I have 3 SD card readers and 2 thumb-drives connected, this could cause these issues. :rofl:

If one of your screens is connected on the same serial port as the pi, then that will be a problem.

Hi Jeff.
Any idea if the Radxa Pi Zero, 4GB DDR4, 64GB EMMC Storage, 64Bit Quad Core will work with v1pi please?

No idea. Does the standard raspian work on that pi?

Seems not to no. Does run Android though. Is there a way of using that to control the MPCNC?

There is an octoprint port for android. Haven’t tried it, but it’s supposed to work well. And cnc support on octoprint is also getting better, so there’s that.

1 Like

Jeff,
Does the non-hotspot version support hidden SSIDs? I’m used to putting in the scan_ssid=1 option in with the network={…} stuff within the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
For now, it can’t seem to connect to my home wifi network (with a hidden SSID).
I know it works because I just switched from a Klipper/Mainsail image, which connects just fine to my hidden SSID home wifi.
If I hook it up via ethernet (wired), it shows up, so I know the image is working, just not connecting to my home wifi.

I haven’t ever tried using it with a hidden ssid. But that part of the image is completely stock. Any information about hidden ssids and raspberry pi os should apply here.

Ok. I’ve been trying but no joy yet. I did notice that when I try to configure the wireless LAN via the raspi-config (Raspberry Pi Software Configuration Tool), and I select the S1 - Wireless LAN, I get a message that says " Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant ". And then it errors out. I’ll keep trying. Thanks.

You could also try another image, like the octopi one. Maybe my image needs an update.

Well, it seems that I was trying on a Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3 and the wifi dongle I am using doesn’t seem to be supported (I think). I did put the flashed image on a Pi 3B and it worked both with Ethernet and wifi (connecting to my hidden SSID). So, it looks like it is on the hardware platform I was trying on. I’ll try to get back to this since with a Klipper image, the Pi Zero worked and connected to my hidden SSID wifi. I’ll have to see if they are both on the same version of OS and if so, why one worked and the other didn’t. :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry in advance for the newb question. Currently my V1Pi is working great but im stuck on the older version. having trouble updating to the newer version. How to i update to the newest version?

You can use the tools to update themselves. Octoprint has a button for that. I think cncjs needs to run a command on the command line. If you want to update to 0.18, you can reflash the sdcard with the new image.

I have it on my list to make another update. I need to update the base, and I want to find a way to support more SBCs, because rpis are still not that available (although I have heard they will return this year). While I do that, I will update the packages, and release a new image.

2 Likes

Awesome work. Thank you so much for responding. i look forward to updating it

1 Like

Any update to V1pi for cncjs v1.10.3?

Nope. I haven’t had the time.

1 Like