V1Pi will not jog LR2 with Rambo 1.4 running Marlin

I have V1Pi setup on a Raspberry Pi, connected to a Rambo 1.4. After booting up, I open CNC.js and I can connect to the controller using the highest baud rate. The weird thing is, I can jog the machine using direct gcode commands in the console, but if I try using the buttons, nothing happens. They don’t even show in the console. However, when I used the LCD to disable the steppers I was surprised to see my machine jog all over the place, running all the button jog commands I have tried previously. Any ideas why it takes interacting with the LCD to get the jog commands to register? I can replicated it every time.

FWIW, I can successfully connect CNC.js running on my Mac and fully operate my CNC without any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

No. This makes no sense. What version is cnc.js on your mac? There is a newer version. I need to spin a new v1 pi image soon.

1.9.22 on the Mac
1.9.20 on V1Pi
Marlin 418 bugfix-2.0.x

Just looked on the CNC.js releases page for 1.9.22 and it shows this:

Jog not working on Marlin (PR #583, closes #581)

So, that’s probably it.

Thanks,
Jeff

I updated CNC.js to 1.9.22 and that solved the problem.

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Like

I really need to cut a new version. There is a new version of octoprint too.

Hey @jeffeb3, I have not commented for a while. Sorry about that. The Issue that @jeffj is referring to is happening to me. I am going to reload the PI on a Raspberry PI 3b. I will use the 1.9.22 or 20 and redo the marlin on the board. Currently a Ramps with Arduino 2560. I also have a MKS 1.4 that I believe did the same thing.
The jog button does not show in a way they can be used. I will work on it tonight. Thanks for the help. I am about to commission my first MPCNC. To date, this will be the 4th CNC machine that I have build. I can already tell this will be the one! Thanks for the help.
Side note I am able to use the graphics contoller on the arduino board to move each axis. I am using one driver per motor. So i am using 5 drivers. I set the Extruder to 0. Is that in any way causing my problem with the cncJs? thanks for any reply

It might be affecting it. I know octoprint expects the temperature format coming in to include an extruder. I would need to see the problem myself to really know.

Thanks Jeff. I thought I had a bad Raspberry Pi. It turns out that I did not have a bad one. I reloaded the OS on the Pi a few times. I now believe that I may just be a simple issue between Marlin and CnCJS. I don’t have the patience to figure it out and I apologize for that. I remembered that I have used GRBL on all my previous builds so I went back to that. Guess what. CNCJS now works on my pi wirelessly as planned. I installed plain old GRBL on my Mega2560 using this branch of it. GRBL-Mega-5X-edge @ [GRBL that works on Arduino mega and Ramps 1.4]((grbl-Mega-5X/COPYING at edge · fra589/grbl-Mega-5X · GitHub). Again thanks for the reply. I believe I can finish my build now. All that is left is make a few enclosures and wire in the limit switches. :smiley: lol

1 Like

In general, octoprint work better with Marlin and cncjs works better with grbl. Those combinations are just a lot more mature.

ty for the reply. I got them to work well. Hooking up things tomorrow. It got a bit hot in the vegas area this week. lol. :smiley:

Hey @jeffeb3 I’ll check any response to my question tonight or tomorrow. I got a bit off track this week. I started printing covid-19 PPE with my printers here in Vegas. They may ask me to get a laser and cut out the plastic face shield portion of them. I am currently making the head piece that is also the frame.

So the question. If you have a few free minutes between then and tomorrow. I could use a bit of help regarding the size and possibly setting up a laser. Anyways I know your time if valuable. Let me know. I will give you my number. Thanks.

That’s cool, but I don’t help in private. I also don’t have a laser.

no worries. I spoke with the people at the site here in vegas that are gathering, qc’ing, and sanitizing the face mask frames prior to giving them to the hospitals. They dont need me to do that. They already have that working and going. Thanks anyways. I undersand the not in private thing. I just had never asked and needed to know. Thanks.

1 Like

Oh and one other thing. I am going to try a mks 1.3 32 bit board on my cnc machine this weekend. I hope that will help some in some way. Anyways. I appreciate all you do on the forums Jeff and thanks for the quick reply!

1 Like