V1Pi & Xbox controller Capability

I realize that Octoprint does not support external controls normally as it is a web based GUI. My question is, is there any way to add USB Xbox controller support to V1Pi? I am going to try out V1Pi tonight i hope. I guess i like the idea of a wired external control. I know linux and rasbian itself can utilize the controller. Getting the input to feed into a headless install meant to be used as a web base GUI seems a bit above my experience level. If you have some ideas on how this can be accomplished i might be able to help some.

1 Like

I think it would be awesome. I haven’t seen anything that work for that in the programs natively. But they both have good plugin systems. Both octoprint and cnc.js should be able to do this. The closest I’ve seen is the ps3 pendant:

In Linux/rabsperry pi the /dev/input/js0 shows up for most controllers. The user would have to pick which buttons or axis controls what function, but with just that much code, you could use almost any gamepad.

If i can get my daughters snake printing early enough i will be attempting this (Show and tell for the letter S). I have a few xbox controllers to try. if i have to i may be picking up a PS3 Controller.

Last time I checked. PS3 controllers are oddly expensive.

You can connect the controller, and run jstest on the command line to see what buttons and axis it can read. The next easiest part is getting those values into the pendant code. The tricky part is doing all the interface to map those buttons. Then the other tricky part is sending the right commands to jog smoothly.

There is also a tinyweb pendant. If you have an inexpensive tablet, you can install that pendant and control it easily from a tablet:

I would not know where to begin on the interface. Seems like a combination of buttons setup on macro would be a good way to jogs and feed rates for jog. I would try the pendant plugin but touch screens in general don’t like me when doing anything important. I will see what i can do with the tools i have thus far.