Vaccum Hose

I see a lot of you guys using this really giant black ribbed hose (man this sounds like it’s going in the wrong direction quickly lmao) on your LR’s. Can someone link me to the ones you’re using? I have a crappy 40 year old (probably not actually) shopvac, and I need to upgrade that portion of my shop as well. If anyone could offer some suggestions for a dust collection system, hose, vac, adapters/reducers etc, I’d be more than enthusiastic.

I’ve JUST ABOUT got the wife talked into letting me go ahead and order a kit from Ryan… SO close… SO close… I’m bribing her with new cabinet doors, and corner shelves and planters and all that good stuff. haha

This is what’s currently on my lowrider.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-12-ft-x-1-5-in-Shop-Vacuum-Hose/1042233

I have a real dust collector now, so eventually going to plumb in some pipe and use 4" hose, someday…

1 Like

Thank you Barry! I’ll go and grab some today on my way home from work! I see they have it in stock at my local lowes.

I used a 1&1/4 inch vacuum hose I had lying around to keep the weight down and adapted it to a four inch hose on my HF dust collector. The performance was abysmal. I hooked it then to my shopvac and it got better, but still it leaves tons of chips lying all over the table and even in the cut linr. Yesterday I just disconnected the hosed and vacuum things up by hand following the gantry around. What performance are other people getting with their dust collection? Maybe the 1&1/4 inch hose is too small? It just seems that there’s not a lot of suction at the bottom of the 611 plate because there’s little difference running it with the vacuum hooked up and not hookedup. I recognize the vacuum port is offset from the router and I’m sure that has a lot to do with it, but I’m not sure what to expect when it comes to performance

Adding some of that rubber construction paper around the outside will help stop the chips from flying and then the vac can more easily pick them up. I have basically a 2.5" dust collector connected through a 1.25" hose to mine and it does alright. It seems to have enough suck to pick up all the dust that is sitting there, but not enough to pull in the stuff that is shooting outward. I would add the paper or brushes if I was trying to make it better.

Ok… I was just surprised about how much dust just collects even when the vac port passes over it. I’m going to pull the hose and verify there’s no clogging or something… Then will add the dust shroud and see how it works.

2 Likes

@madgrizzle My man! haha Fellow Maslownian! Did you get your vacuum sorted? Ever try the dust shoe? I’m heading to Michael’s after work to grab some of that yellow 2mm foam to put on mine today. I had printed this system out a few weeks ago, and going to slap it on today I think. Just ordered my new vacuum, and some hose off of Amazon this morning.

Hope all is well man!

1 Like

Not yet. I’ve been busy and my machine is down because the belt tensioners got messed up. I have new parts to install but haven’t gotten around to it (wife and kids will be out of town next week, so I hope to have me time). I plan to cut new side plates and base plate to see if it solves some of my cutting issues. I’m thinking I will make the base so it has some accommodations for a dust shield that I don’t have to 3d print parts for. I’ve got no real usable printer, but I have a cnc and some strong magnets so I think I can make one up.

1 Like

I printed out a 2 1/2" dust port i found and run that up to 4" pvc to my HF dust collection. it doesnt get every chip but does just as good as the vacuum in my opinion and a 1/4 the noise. if things start to build up around the table i just pop the hose off real quick and get it up then put it back on. plan to add a Y in the 4" and a second blast gate so i wont have to take the hose off the lowrider anymore.