Vcarve Inlay Technique with Fusion 360

I agree it’s weird, that’s why I wanted to discover the cause. I have done a bunch of engraving before and never noticed the tool path being off however, it is more noticeable when you are doing an inlay. I was testing a shape that I created in fusion last night and it wasn’t obviously missing the path. I will do dome digging and see what’s going on.

1 Like

I just made one with F-Engrave Web Page Here The whole process is simplified and the software knows that is making a V-Carve inlay and does a lot of the grunt work for you. - I have just glued it up so the final result is yet to be seen but I have a feeling that this is going to be my go to for V-Carve inlays.

1 Like

I have to sit down and really understand the inputs for that one…

The final result with F-engrave is better/easier than fusion. The process does take a bit of thought but there a couple of videos that explain it well. I was impressed by the way it does the cleanup.

By the way, this is a different seahorse in case you were wondering

3 Likes

That looks really clean. Good job! I’ve only seen one video with the scorchworks guy. Did you see any others?

Just go to YouTube and search f engrave there are many videos there. It’s not that complicated, if you can use fusion 360 you should be fine with F Engrave. - A couple of things I have noticed with it already. It makes files that are good with LinuxCNC and Mach3 - I use Octoprint and of course the MPCNC Marlin Firmware. So it uses comments in parentheses, you either have to change that to starting with “;” or check the box in general settings for suppress comments. The file name does not end with .gcode so you will need rename them. It creates three separate gcode files one for the main engrave and two for the clean up files. You have to run them in succession to complete the job. It’s not a big deal but would be easier if that was one file with a tool change.

I am going to do more testing but, if I decide to go with this as my vcarve inlay solution I will probably create a post script that takes the files changes the comments leading character, merges them and creates the pause for a tool change, and renames the files. I did check the gcode against the Marlin options and it didn’t create anything that is a concern.

I also reached out to scorchworks to see if these changes are something that can be done from configuration rather than code hacking in their software. I don’t want to change code as it makes updates extremely difficult.

1 Like

It’s been about a year since I looked. Guess it’s about time again.

I am really impressed with the speed at which you can create the output. I have a new inlay job all set to go. The Superbowl got in the way of running it yesterday but tonight I will get some machine time and run it. I created a more complex inlay and hope that it looks as good in the wood as it does on the screen. I will have to source some different wood species so I can make the inlay contrast better. I hope to have some pictures up on Tuesday (the glue will need to dry tonight).

2 Likes

Rotate the grain of the wood. Cut the pocket in one grain direction and cut the inlay with the grain going a different direction.

Good idea, I also wanted to get some darker wood.

I would never deny someone of their wood…

Any excuse to increase your choices is a good excuse. I’m lucky in that I have a full lumber store 5 minutes from where I work. They even have a decent ‘scrap’ pile that the sell cutoffs out of. I need to go raid that stack this week and stock up on some more options myself. I’m down to just pine, walnut, maple, and purple heart in the shop. Oh… I do have some Ash and Iroko still. Keep forgetting about that pile.

Show off :wink: seriously though, I wish I had a place like that. I created a new one and made the mistake of using some unaged maple. The process of sanding dried the wood and it shrunk DOH!
However, the results were still impressive.

I will redo it with better wood :blush:

I got a reply from Scorhworks none of this is configurable. I have started writing a small python program to make the changes to the files after F-engrave creates them.

1 Like

I have finished the application, I can now merge the files into one, add a tool change, correct the file extension and fix the comments.
I did another inlay but didn’t get a perfect result, I have another lined up to test.

here’s my latest inlay. I think :thinking: I have this dialed in now. I will make a few adjustments but it’s looking pretty good. I created the files in fcarve then modified the output with my application.

7 Likes

the finished article. I am particularly happy with how the roses turned out. Very fine detail.

2 Likes

Ian,

Can you post or link to your script to post & merge. I’ve been editing the files by hand (Vim), and it would be great to automate.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Sure, I will put it somewhere that you can download it. I tried to package it into an exe file but pyinstaller is giving me heck. I will work on that so that it’s easy to use. I’ll try to get it done ASAP.

1 Like

I managed to package it into an exe file (MODfef.exe). You will have to download the zip from here www.jobbos.com (it was too big to upload here) the zip contains the exe file and a default ini file. Once you run the exe it has instructions on what to do. If you have any questions just let me know. - Enjoy.

This is great! Thanks! Works perfectly!

Only thing I would add is the ability to specify a “start” gcode file (and maybe tool change too). I use a multi-line start code file (see below) that pauses for you to attach a z-probe, then probes after you unpause, then pauses for you to detach the probe, then pauses so you can start the spindle. F-engrave only allows me to give one line so I put “; insert start code here” and edit manually.

I figure since your concatenating files already, it would just be a matter of specifying the first file in the list.

If you don’t have time, I know how to program python and could give it a shot (if I got your source) and send my changes back.

Thanks again!!

FWIW: My start Gcode file for anyone who cares (I use it with Fusion 360 postprocessor as well.)

; AJN’s MPCNC start code 2020-02-11
; step #1: HOME using LCD or Octoprint G28 X Y to square up dual endstops
; step #2: use LCD or send g0 X? Y? to position spindle where X,Y 0,0 is desired during cutting
; step #3 THEN START – e.g., hit “print” button in octoprint
; step #4: machine will then pause for attachment of Z-probe and follow steps on LCD display

G90
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Set Current position to 0, all axes
m666 x-2.5 y1 ; dual endstop offsets – delete if not using dual endstop code
M00 attach z probe
m121 ; disable endstops when not homing
M211 S0 ;disable soft stops or may not home Z
M400 ; complete move
G28 Z
G92 Z0.5 ; the thickness of my z-probe plate – a utility knife blade
G00 Z7.0000 F500 ; Raise Z 5mm at 8.3mm/s to clear clamps and screws
M00 Detach Z
G0 X20 Y20 ; back out if at actual 0,0 to reset endstops