Weird Z behaviour - Homes perfect, but movement for both motors opposite way

Hi all, having a weird problem and my reading doesn’t seem to have found a solution. No idea what is causing this, so thought I would ask the experts :slight_smile:

Build:

Lowrider

• Lowrider 3, SKR Pro 1.2 with V1 dual endstops firmware

• Endstops are all functioning correctly using a M119 (not that this is the problem I think). I can auto home X and Y with no problems. They also move correctly when manually moving them.

• Checked and tightened grub screws on screws.

Problem:

When I home Z, both Z1 and Z2 home perfectly. I have used the touchscreen from V1 and Repetier with same result.

When I then try and move Z down, Z1 moves down, but Z2 moves up!

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong on this one? I have tried flipping the connections, but the above keeps happening (in reverse).

Thanks again for the help!

Simon

1 Like

Ok, had a thought that maybe it was the stepper driver. I swapped out a new one and the crazy behaviour seems to be resolved and all working. Does this sound right? Just wondering. thanks Simon

On the stepper driver board, check the solder joints. Sounds like it may be the DIR pin not connecting properly. This would mean that the only way that driver will move under power is up. It may therefore be a simple fix, and you would have a spare driver.

1 Like

Hi all, need some suggestions as I am running out of ideas.

So i am on to my 4th SKR pro 1.2! (yes very very sad).

I have sucessfully installed and got all working but then after maybe 10 uses (eg I surfaced my full size spoilboard twice), I start getting the same problems as above.

Now my Y2 stepper won’t home, but will move via jog. My X won’t move. Again they were all working fine today for half a day.

Then eventually the board dies. I have a bootloader but haven’t the time to tinker yet to see if I can resurect the cards.

I am obviously doing something wrong (consistently!).

I have done the following:

1. Made sure I don’t fry the board. Very careful.
  2. Replaced all the drivers. This worked once, but is patchy.
  3. Don’t let the motors move independently in case it pushes voltage back to the board.
  4. Checked lead screws constantly.
  5. Changed drivers as well.
  6. using latest firmware.
  7. Put in fans in the case
  8. checked all connections (it was working fine in a closed case for 10 cycles). All are taped etc.
  9. I have not grounded the vacumm (Karcher), so not sure if that would cause this.
  10. I have been using a laptop with CNCjs and without.
  11. cut the barell connector and soldered one directly to the power supply (all V1 equipment).

Adding some photos just to see if I have missed anything.

I have ordered a RAMBO 1.4 board, as I hear that is much more resilent. But I am obviosuly doing something major.

Any ideas? the only thing is maybe I have not soldered the wires for Z and X right. But seeing they have worked for quite a while, I don’t think it is the problem.

Anyway, at a complete loss as to what is going on :frowning:

Any help would be appreciated from the gurus :slight_smile:
Thanks Simon

My first thought, before I saw your list, was the vac. The skr is tolerant to most of those other things. But static can kill it. I don’t know if grounding the vacuum itself helps. I think you need to ground the hose. Adding a bare wire and connecting it to ground on the power supply should do the trick. But I haven’t read what solutions the are out there.

I don’t think that explains your first issue if things going the wrong direction. But static can stop it cold.

I don’t think the bootloader could get trashed unless it happened while flashing. But this is still inconsistent enough that I don’t know why it happens.

It really stinks that your having this trouble.

I would also try M122 when things are acting weird. The drivers are a little smart, and they can report some errors when they detect them.

Thanks mate I will give the grounding a try. Thanks for the reply great to have the help over here in Australia!

1 Like