What do you have *under* the sand?

I’d like my built - which is still in very early stages - to be pretty quite. I’ve thus made some out-of-the-ordinary design choices which I will happily share with you when I’m back home…

What I’m still looking for is feedback on the board material and any particular surfaces you’re using? I think I heard the Sisyphus uses a felt-layer between the sand and the plate. Has anybody tried that or something similar and what were your observations regarding noise?

Thanks!
Hajo

1 Like

Right now the bearings, rails, steppers are far louder than the ball and backing soda. I really really want to redesign this but I got side tracked with a new MPCNC. I have mine draw a design when no one is around and then leave it for a few days.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m not yet at the point where I can actually move a ball but once I am, I’ll share my experience here…

1 Like

I’m working on my table right now and playing with surfaces. I tested if I would have issues with skipping steps and so far, with a 1 inch cube magnet, I have no issues with that.
I went to buy some chinchilla bath sand and instead bought some fine aquarium sand. With that over the hdpe sheet I was testing with, there is a bunch of chatter from the ball and sand grains. I was thinking about using fabric under the sand to see how that would affect the noise.
Did you end up getting a fabric?

In my case I have installed “Goma Eva” (in Spain it is called like that, I do not know how it is written in English), I put an Amazon link so you can see what it is

Link amazon

1 Like

That could be an idea! What does it sound like?

1 Like

Oh, I thought of the same thing earlier today. Im glad to hear it works for you. I believe it is EVA foam here in the states. I first thought the link was for a cutting mat type material. I figured eva foam would do very well in this situation.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

absolutely, no noise. I use it for under my 3D printers, and it reduces noise and vibrations, it’s great

Ich denke das nächste mal werde ich eine Didond Platte verwenden.
Das ist ein Alu Sandwitch Platte die aus 0,3mm Alu, PU-Schaum, 0,3mm Alu besteht.
WiKi
Wird Innen, Außen und im Fahrzeugbau verwendet.

1 Like

Here is a new post on YouTube where the builder uses velvet flocking. He also uses repelling magnets that act as a spring for constant magnet to underside of the table contact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ikOfZz3dA&t=48s

1 Like

Guten Tag

Hab grad ein 1mm PVC (durchsichtige Tischdecke) - als Sandauflage eingebaut.
Es hilft um den Geräuschpegel vom Abroll - Geräusch der Kugel im Sand zu senken.

servus
klaus