What happened to my Y motor?

Hi!

A lot of troubleshooting questions from me now, but I am also doing a lot of cutting and I am still a newbie :slight_smile:

After 1h my job ended unexpectedly… The machine started going sideways and broke the bit and then went a bit further away and just stood and went back and forth 2-3cm like if it didn’t know what to do.

So I shut everything down and was happy anyways because the job was still salvageable…

But then I notice that my Y motor is a bit wonky now. What could have happened to it… Is it broken? The motor shaft does not slip on the screw. It runs smoothly when pushed manually without steppers on, but sounds terrible with steppers on.

/ Oskar

There’s not a lot mechanically that can go wrong inside the stepper except for bearings, and those would sound bad even without power.

My guess is that one of the wires to that stepper has a bad connection so the coil isn’t getting energized properly, so stepping can’t happen.

Check the wiring end-to-end on that motor.

2 Likes

I agree. Sounds like wiring.

You can check continuity at the board end. On the motor connector there should be continuity between 1-2 and 3-4 (And NO continuity 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4.)

Chances are that the connector for the wiring extension harness got pulled apart, or else the wire socket at the control board came unplugged slightly.

(Also, nominally, that motor is for the X axis.)

1 Like

I agree to check the wiring, but don’t forget to check the grub screws on the pulleys too.

2 Likes

I love you all!

It has no continuity between 3-4! Such an easy way to troubleshoot!!

Thank you. AGAIN. I will have to check my wiring, indeed!

You guys are incredible. Thank you!

3 Likes

Aha! These should be connected! :joy:

2 Likes

That would help.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I managed to fix my problem during the evening yesterday. Now everything works again!

This is how the project turned out in the end! :relaxed:

7 Likes