What is need to upgrade to Primo

After years of using one of the first MPCNC designs I have decided to upgrade to the Primo version. My center assembly is showing some slop, my conduit rails are wearing out, some stress cracks in the X and Y trucks, etc. I have an old design (not sure what to call it, but it is the 2015 vintage) and am starting to use it more and in a heavier usage.

My question is how much of the hardware will need to be changed for assembling the Primo? I know I will need the lead screw and coupler (I still have the std. threaded rod), but what else might I need?

https://shop.v1engineering.com/products/mpcnc-burly-to-primo-hardware-kit?variant=31834461274227

You will also need to get GT2 10mm belt.

1 Like

You need:

• New 3D printed parts
  • All the supplies in V1’s upgrade kit
  • 10mm belt
  • T8 Lead Screw
  • T8 Nut
  • 5mm to 8mm flex coupler

Not sure what bolts/screws were used on that version. You may need some 5/16 nuts and 3mm screws since these are borrowed from the Burly when upgrading.

In this other thread on the same subject, one poster suggested that, assuming significant usage on the old machine, some of the bearings may need to be replaced.

== Rob ==

Thanks all,

I did see the other thread right after I posted mine (go figure). I was going back and forth whether to do the Primo or one of the DYI extruded aluminum style units as I wanted a better rail system than the EMT conduit. Issue with those is all NEMA 23 steppers which adds to the complexity of upgrading (and cost).

I discovered that I can get the stainless tubing through my work at a bargain price. If I get all new tubing will be around $100 for a 24 x 36 footprint. We also have heavy duty tubing (0.188 wall) as drop that I can get for scrap prices. Thought I could use this for the feet and outer rails.