What is the preferred font/style that is used with signs.? Also always carve??

You’ll need to experiment to see what you prefer. The lower the stepover, the better the finish on the floor will be but the slower it will finish. You need to decide the trade off between speed/quality for yourself :slight_smile:

<FRIDAY_SCREED>

This is the sort of thing that just ruins the whole maker movement for me… I gotta think!?! Whatever happened to the anointed masters proclaiming the Truth upon the masses, and that being that. Hell, Joy of Cooking has been doing it for almost a century. But noo-OOO-ooo, now we’re expected to think for ourselves, figure shit out, and find joy in failure. I get plenty of that playing video games (I install Dwarf Fortress about once a year, and it stays installed for about a week). Imma let DJ M.Kondo handle intentional failure…

Good thing we have social media, and influencers who can tell us what’s good, and how to do things. I have to think all day at work, and my brain gets lazy at night. I can have stone cold experts in all sorts of fields telling me The Way It Should Be Done (hopefully for something in their field), and I don’t have to worry about all that shop class without coach yelling at me, soul-crushing, demoralizing failure. Maybe if there was a Makerspace of some sort around that I could go do my whole Jane Goodall schtick at, and get CNC/3D-printing to accept me as one of its own, but there’s not. I have to keep a baby printer locked in my basement, and basically Frankenstein a CNC rig in that same basement like a slightly less felonious Herbert West.

</FRIDAY_SCREED>

Actually, I think I’ll cart all my electronics down to the basement, and start assembling things. I think I’m mostly annoyed with myself that I haven’t really done anything on my MPCNC in a few weeks. Is it time to go home, yet? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shhhhh, around here we are DIYers! AHAHAH Happy Saturday!

[attachment file=“Screenshot (115).png”]

Here is the initial path of what I ended up doing.

I got swamped after Thursday’s milling session. I did some vbit carving on foam to test out paths and depth. Used a normal font outline for carving one and then used EstlCAM’s text function to do the other. Both were respectable carves but not quite what I was looking for. I didn’t get the depth I was looking for. I was using the 45 degree vbit from the Shop. Very clean edges and a nice draft on the sides, but an 1/8" bit really wants to do smaller text and I was doing a 50 cm high capital M. Doing two Ms that size took about 17 minutes for two passes at 2mm depth and then a finishing pass.

There are so many parameters to think of, especially the height of the letters and the widths of the various parts of the letters. Trying to get this understood and hope that I can post something that is helpful to all.

I’ll get to posting my results tomorrow evening when I have a bit more time to run it again.

You can usually do a full depth cut with a Vbit since the step over is so low. The finishing pass means any full depth slotting slop will get cleaned up.

2 Likes

I saw this after I did all my work tonight. Would have save a little time. But I was successful in getting a good carve.

[attachment file=“IMG_0538 (2).jpg”]

My earlier attempts before I figured out that the geometry of a 1/8", 45 degree vbit requires smaller letters.

[attachment file=“IMG_0535 (2).jpg”]

[attachment file=“119169”]

Respect for the reanimator name drop sir

I wish there was a way to tell without having to experiment. I find myself constantly changing fonts and sizes.

1 Like

Meaning that if you wanna go to 6mm depth aka 1/4 inch cut. You change the depth per pass on the Z to be 6mm as long as the stepover is like under 5%??

In the pocketing area it will be like a finishing pass, but when it’s plunging and doing the first slot, or slotting near the edges it will be full width, right?