What Spindle for us europeans

Hey!

I just ordered all the parts for the mpcnc yesterday, and am now in the need to decide, what spindle to use. At first I thought about just putting my Dremel to it, but it seems, that this is not the best option.
Import Spindles, like the one linked on the specifications tab seem to got for 120€+, if I don’t buy them directly in china. The Kress 530 is around 140€ here, so I would prefere that over the imported one.

My main question is: Is the 530W spindle enough? The 1050 is at around 190€, the 800 at around 170€. When 530W is enough, I save the money, if its the limit, I am willing to spend alittle more.

Any options?

Thanks, Jens

I bought a Makita RT0700C for €135,- (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007NZHNX2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_W9XMybWZDWE04)
You can see (and hear!) it in action: https://goo.gl/photos/DJf4XHNopkzHX2qn6
I’m sure I can get much faster, but I “finished” my mpcnc just this weekend and this was my second thing I milled.
Good side effect of the Makita, you can also use it as a normal router.

/erik

The reason I spent a little more to get the 1050, is that it has computer controlled speed, and it can mill a lot slower than the smaller versions.
I do not know if that was a wise decision, I am just learning about this stuff,…

I haven’t regretted it so far. Very nice build quality.
https://vimeo.com/197684679

Thanks for the input! I like the Makita approach. That way I have a reason to finally buy a handheld machine for some rougher woodwork!

I’m in the UK so still in Europe, just!
I have the makita Rt0700CX4 and getting used to it, happy so far but be aware mine came with 1/4" and 3/8" collets and I had to order separately 6 and 8mm collets but note they do not supply 1/8" or 3mm collets so that will limit your choice of bits.
I spent a merry Wednesday playing with an old fashioned lathe and milling machine making a 1/8" collet and now I’m waiting for some 1/8" bits to arrive to see if it works. If it does I will publish the drawing with dimensions.

Dennis

When I order it in germany, I would think, they put in metric collets instead of imperial ones. On the 1/8" version you are right. Found that out yesterday too :frowning: Would be great, if you have something available, so I find someone with the right machines, so I can build one my own.

My Makita (bought in Germany) was delivered with 6mm and 8mm collets. But I think you can buy one of these http://cnc-plus.de/en/Collets---Clamping-Nuts/6-0mm-Reducing-Collets--Adapter-Collets-for-Spindle-Motors-.html to reduce the diameter e.g. to 1/8″.

I just ordered mine. I ordered the CX2 Version, with all the extra stuff to use it as hand-device. Description is talking about a 6mm and a 8mm collet.
Thanks for the tip, Erik, bookmarked that!

I now bought this reduction sleeve:

and it works great!

Yeah, I am using 1/8" bits too and it is working great!

Sorry for digging out this very old post and also sorry for reposting the same question in different forum again… I thought that maybe for a question interesting to everyone, only posting it in the German section might not be the best idea… Plus I am hoping to get more answer/ ideas here… I hope this is okay; if not, please delete…

I just finished my first MPCNC and did the first cuts usung a dremel 4000 with a 3mm bit.
It does work and does look good, but it is very noisy.
Only having a small room for my MPCNC in the basement in an apartment block, I dont want to disturb the neighbours too moch. Therefore I need something more quiet but not too expensive.

My options so far are:

• Makita 0700
  • the Katsu Maikta clone
  • some China 500 or 800 watt aircooled spindle

I would like to spend around 100 Euros, a bit more or less doesn’t matter. I want to cut wood, hardwood, platic, maybe aluminium.

So what’s my best choice here?

Thanks for your help!

PS: I am also planning on building an enclosure.

It is hard to chase after quiet because the bit and vacuum are so loud. The reason I’ve heard for not using a dremel is the runout.

Have you thought about an enclosure to reduce the noise?

Hey Jeff,
thanks for the quick reply…
Yes, an enclosure is the next thing on my list actually. Using orientd standard board (I think that’s the term - OSB in German) and some acoustic foam.
The vacuum will get a silent enclosure at some point, too…

So, what’s my best bet here? A Makita router (or a clone) or a spindle from China?

I like OSB. I have done a few projects with it and I like how sturdy it is and the industrial look.

I don’t have any experience with any of those personally, but I would probably pick the makita. I doubt it will be as quiet as the spindle, but I don’t think it will matter once the bit hits the wood.

I have got the Makita and am very satisfied. If you want an 1/8 collet though, you have to order one. The best ones are available in Ryan’s shop (they are from Elaire). I got one of those and it’s fantastic.