What would you want to see in a new lowrider build?

Yea, it just runs on the table.

4 Likes

Sorry I have been busy trying to take some pretty pictures of the instruction build.

7 Likes

Awesome! I like that the lead screws for the Z are ‘shielded’ from saw dust.

1 Like

Looks gorgeous. Can’t wait for the stl’s to come out so I can get started printing. I was so close to building the current version but this looks like its worth waiting for. Hopefully can get all the parts here in NZ.

Keep up the great work.

3 Likes

Hey Jacob, I’m also in NZ and planning on a LR3 now that I’ve seen these pics. Will keep in touch if trying to source parts.

3 Likes
  1. Looks like the wait will be short.
  2. It is worth it.

Some things are different from when this project first began, some of the beta parts are different from the parts that will be actually released. I have mixed feelings about reprinting some of the release parts. Some are improvements, some are just a little different, and some just simplify the bill of materials (But I’ve already got the parts.)

I get the feeling that a lot of PLA suppliers are going to be running short on inventory real soon now.

3 Likes

Kiwi here as well @ciaocibai @alchemy
Maybe we should buy the kit and split shipping? As I’m guessing shipping from US will be the killer…
I usually self source, but keen to give Ryan some money this time round :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ll join the order… @ciaocibai @alchemy

You guys don’t want to order a RoutER11 at the same time?

I’ve noticed the rollerskate wheels have disappeared which featured the Patreon video, does this mean the surface the machine rides on needs to be more flat?

1 Like

Could be a good plan, shipping is definitely a killer. I’ve already got everything to build a LR2 so will only be looking for a smaller selection of parts.

1 Like

I’m planning on using the Makita router - not sure its worth importing one as they would be the wrong voltage for here. But totally open to a joint order to save on shipping. Sounds like we need a kiwi thread.

3 Likes

I wanna ask where you’re all based but that’ll stink up the thread! (CHCH, currently, a bit stinky)

I might hit go on the RoutER11 then.

On this Lowrider attempt I’d like to go for the steppers + drivers Ryan stocks and if I’m waiting for them, I better get some trustworthy linear rails too.

2 Likes

Ive got the longer lead screw already. Modifying the side plate is no problem. And shouldn’t be an issue to get a bit longer linear plate. Sweet! I’m doing it.

Now just need to know about table size.

Does the table size change for cut area from the lr2?

3 Likes

Why import ?

Good thing us Aussies are here … :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes. The LR3 table needsd to be a bit wider (The whole machine sits on top) and can be a bit shorter.

I think it’s about 80mm wider on X and about 25mm shorter on Y.

2 Likes

If you prefer self sourcing, and you want to support Ryan, some PayPal money goes across the globe with a lot less shipping costs. But bundling together is a good idea. I am not sure what the volume discount is, you may have to ask Ryan.

I used the same table for mine, which meant I lost a little work area on X (the gantry axis). But I can push it against the wall now, and it doesn’t stick out the front, so I gained some garage space.

And BTW, several of us made build threads. They are also going to move to the public space when Ryan releases it. So you can see what choices we made and how well they worked.

8 Likes

If you are going that tall you might want to add a second bearing block to each rail as well. Then it would be a beast.

Yeah NZ shipping right now is really wacky. I can not ship Priority that I do for all other places, but that means it drops to a weight shipping and for some reason it is way cheaper than it has been. last night a box went out and it was actually $30 less that the customer paid, so I refunded the difference. BUT…you guys might want to wait until I get a few shipped first so I can see how to maximize savings. Figure out what I can get in the same box. A group buy will not help if you are all getting full kits, if you are all only getting a couple parts each it will.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about building a combo table that is assembly table on top that uses mft holes to support a benchdogs.co.uk mft accessories for traditional woodworking stuff. Do you think it would be possible to modify the pieces (not sure what they are called) that hold the long round tube to be able to insert into dog holes? Would it be stiff enough? I know some others have made mfts in the past so could possible give me their thoughts. I have probably enough room for a table but it needs to have other roles besides just a cnc or else it needs to fold up in some fashion.

Looking forward to seeing the builds and figuring out my next move.

Matt

I think so. The new build is very easy to remove from the table (I cut my vac hose and use a push fit coupler) but it is made to remove. So this could be a easy option.

Here we go!

13 Likes