Wheels for my first build?

I found this wheels in my country,

" Hockey 77mm 85a"

will be OK for my first build?

Far from an expert in this, so please consider it speculation. Personally, I’d try to keep looking for the 60mm diameter wheels, or as close as possible.

Those wheels are 17mm larger in diameter than the ones that V1 sells and expects. I remember reading that the extra 8.5mm diameter won’t cause a mechanical problem, but do consider that this is going to mean that this must be subtracted from the available table thickness. The instuctions say 4" (~100mm) or less, so I’d look for 90mm or so as a maximum to have some comfort room.

Also, higher wheels mean a higher bottom for movement. Having a raised spoilboard on your table is probably more than enough to take care of that.

The parts list specifies +/- 3mm. It says that more than that and you will need to raise your work surface. So given the 8.5mm radius increase with the 77mm wheels, you will need to have the work surface at least 8.5mm higher than where the wheels ride in order to be sure that you can cut through your work material, since the machine won’t be able to go low enough to ensure cutting all the way through to the same plane as the wheels ride on.

1 Like

Thanks!

Found 60 and 60mm ones!

Now want to know about the Hardness and recommended width.

is it better to be hard or soft? I saw that they come up to 100 hardness.
The width I saw of 1 ", will it be enough or the wider the better?

Since you won’t be going 20mph or have 200lbs on them, I don’t thing the hardness matters. They are all very hard for our purposes. I didn’t know they made different widths, except for skateboards.

How much does the hardness of the wheels effect the overall functionality and performance? I’m just wondering as I have a bunch of sealed large heavy duty industrial stainless bearings. Just a thought about trying them.

I don’t think the hardness will matter. If they aren’t the same size, then you may have to think about it more carefully. But the wheels don’t flex (everything flexes, but the roller wheels don’t flex enough to notice).

1 Like

So it could be as simple as raising the track they run on to make up for any diameter difference? Just curious as I have a bunch of these bearings and spit balling ideas to do with them. End of year parts inventory time is like Christmas morning with the "obsolete " parts they are dumping at work…