When "Auto Home" Z Goes off the rails.

Literally.

V1 Engineering Dual End Stop Kit. When I Auto Home from LCD screen, Y & X home fine to their end stops, but Z just keeps moving up and literally moves beyond the lower bearings. Seems to be expecting Z end stops?

How do I resolve this?

Is it just a matter of commenting out the Z portions here in the configuration.h?
// Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
// Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

Thanks!

You can not auto home without a Z stop of some sort. You can home X and Home Y if you have them or add it to gcode G28 X Y.

So that menu item for the LCD is not meant to be used? Is there any way to remove it? Or make it run only X & Y?

There are two options for homing; in the “motion” menu and in the “custom commands” menu. The motion menu options homes x, y, and z; while the custom commands menu allows you to home x, y separate from z.

Now, to answer your question, I’m sure there’s a way to remove the auto home from the motion menu but I’m not the best person to walk you through the process. I know you can edit the custom commands in the configuration_adv.h file, just look for CUSTOM_USER_MENU but for the other menu items, someone else will have to chime in.

1 Like

There is a custom menu item to home individual axis when you go in and input your machine size (“bed size”) you can enable it in the config_adv.

1 Like

Thanks Gents, appreciate the prompt replies!

This might br useful to give these homing items a more prominent location in the menu:

I didn’t see any way to disable Z homing though. Grbl makes that possible, although it’s a bit confusing for non-programmers.

1 Like