Where to buy files

Hello I wanted to ask and see where ppl are buying files from for some projects. I am not quite the artsy person and wanted to see if there is some things out there and if they really are ready to use.
I see a fair amazing on Etsy

1 Like

ETSY is probally the best bang for the buck

2 Likes

Over the last several years, various forms of your question have been asked on this forum. Here is one topic, and if you search, you can find more. They are not specifically about buying, but about project ideas and vector files.

Etsy is a rich source for vector content and ideas, but be aware that some of the content is available for free from other laser/cnc/vector sites. It is often hard to determine the chicken-and-egg path. For example, I purchased some cool cat silhouette vectors from Etsy, but later found the same graphics on a public domain graphics website. I surmise that the seller simply repackaged public domain content. In other cased it is possible that the free content is “borrowed” from Etsy sells.

Much of the free vector content is in Corel Draw format…probably because that is the format used by may of the K40 laser cutters. I’ve had good luck converting Corel Draw to SVG using free online tools.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for the detailed description, wanted to ask the community first and see what the norm is.
Well I bet the norm is to build your own files but I am not the most artsy.

Well I bet the norm is to build your own files but I am not the most artsy.

I doubt that is the norm. Personally, I lack the ability to create anything organic. Give me a CAD program, and I have no issues, but freehand drawing or clay-like modeling of anything natural, and my work comes out as a misshapen, ugly mess.

My process is to find something I want to make, typically for a gift. This is often just a picture. I isolate the CAD elements, draw them up, and test them. Then I go looking for the organic elements on the net to personalize it. Sometimes I find free vector graphics. Sometimes Etsy has the best graphics. Sometimes I find JPG or PNG images and use Inkscape to convert the image to a vector format. Lately I’ve been learning how to use an image as a reference, and drawing up the vectors based on that image. None of these pathways require me to have artsy skills of original creation.

1 Like