Where to source piping?

hi all,

i am taking the plunge (lowrider) and everything i have been reading is to source the tubing first before ordering any parts.

anyone have any suggestions on the type of shops to look in for the tubing? i’m in the SF bay area if anyone has suggestions…

thanks!

Looks like there is no Metal Supermarket in the Bay Area, but there is something like this.

One place to start is to go to a local welding supply shop. They often have small quantities of different materials and you could have a conversation with them as to sourcing stainless tubing/pipes. And since you are in the Bay Area, look for a marina that specializes in customizing boats and such. They often use stainless for the different rails on the boats.

Often shower curtain rod can be found that is the proper dimension and thickness.

Do you understand the specifications and dimensions well enough to ask questions?

I have a brother in Pleasanton who worked at the Martinez Refinery. He bought stainless steel pipes all the time. Except some of his pipes and fittings were tens of thousands of dollars. I’ll check with him.

Alco in Oakland had it last time I went about a year ago.

I got mine from Grainger… they have branches all over US… I’m limited here in supply houses where I’m at. But there’s one here and I didn’t have to pay shipping.

+1 for contacting a small local welding shop. Mine pointed me to his supplier.

It was about 15% cheaper than Metal Supermarkets. MS are great too because they don’t blink twice at small orders.

1 Like

Welders and machinist will know where to look. Find a little machine shop in your area and ask for some round tubing - they’ll order some for you. If you’re real nice they cut it up too. Expect to pay a little more, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a supplier willing to sell such a small amount.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat, I read that Ryan used some curtain rod but it creased with the bearings? Was it maybe not the .065 wall thickness? Has anyone used curtain rods with success or should I plan on ordering stainless from one of the metal site links? Thanks in advance

There was a post with someone using the inner tube from an ikea curtain rod. IIRC, it was 25mm. I don’t remember which type of build or what size it was. The LR has long spans, especially at full 48" cutting width.

Okay yeah I’m not planning a long span lowrider but just to be safe I’ll order the correct tubing.
Thanks!

Hello, Would you be so kind as to link which pipe that was pleae?

Got mine from Austenitex. 1" OD 5ft section for $23

1 Like

I got mine from onlinemetals.com. Overall good experience. They ship from a warehouse in Seattle, so I got my 12" lengths literally next day, and the 60" pieces in a couple of days. The cuts were fairly rough, but accurate. I cleaned them up a little. Be aware, they always seem to be offering 15 - 20% discount and “sale” events. Fairly aggressive marketing, but not really annoying.

There’s a place near Gilroy called Southbay Metals. I got my tubing there (though it’s a bit closer to me in south San Jose)

http://www.southbaymetals.com/

1 Like

Wow Austentex has some good deals there!

I am struggling with the same question in Utah. I can find plenty of 3/4 inch pipe that has an OD that is 26.67 mm. Is there any reason we do not have a version for 26.67 mm? Just curious.

You are looking for 3/4" EMT.

Low Rider… My guess is he really wants 1" SS…

1 Like

Opps, yeah 1" tubing is not available at a hardware store, you need a metal supplier, either locally or online.

I just ordered 1" 304SS 0.120" wall from metalsdepot.com. Can’t really recommend them because it took over a week, and the tubing is slightly bent.