Which CAD to Learn?

In a week I’ll have a 3D printer and when I figure that out I want to start printing parts for the MPCNC. Having time on my hands I want to start working with a CAD program and am wondering which one? I’ve read that Tinkercad and Fusion 360 are both products of Autodesk with Tinkercad being easier to learn. I’m wondering if learning Tinkercad first would be a good use of my time or would I be better off jumping right into Fusion, or is there a better alternative? Can’t say exactly what I want to do at this point other than milling/some 3D printing being higher on my list than engraving at this point.

Fusion 360 is a full-featured CAD & CAM package, that rivals SolidWorks. It uses parametric design: lines, planes, dimensions, etc. They have recently added functionality to slice models for 3D printing directly (without using Cura, etc.)

Tinkercad is a 3D modelling program that is based on geometric solids, i.e. create a cube, create a cylinder, adjust positions/etc., enter dimensions to create your finished design. It’s a different workflow but you can create detailed models.

Some people use both…if you’re making a rectangle with two holes in it, Tinkercad is probably faster. If you want to make a model with separate components and you might make future revisions, then Fusion might be a better choice.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Which leads me to ask:

!) I was curious if they’re being from the same source if knowledge of Tinkercad would be any sort of a ‘step-up’ in learning Fusion 360? Although given I’ve done a little work with MasterCam perhaps Fusion 360 may be more familiar in style to me?

1. Since you don’t mention Tinkercad as being a CAD/CAM package I’m guessing learning another program would be required to change the model to machine code?

I learned cad on fusion360 while i was off work just over a year ago. I was off work with rotator cuff surgery for about 14wks and spent a good bit of that time between learning fusion and fine tuning my 3D printer. That’s also when I printed everything for the MPCNC and i’ve just recently got around to assembling it.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and just drawing nothing in particular playing with the different tools. There’s a lot that i still don’t understand what went wrong sometimes , mostly because I don’t follow the rules close enough, but for the most part i can struggle through if needed and i can create just about anything i want to.

Often times there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. I usually manage to stumble through the hard way, only later to discover a video of how to do it in 30 seconds or less.

NYC CNC has great tutorials but you’ll need to use the pause button to keep up. Lars Christiansen(?) has a lot of good videos, but you’ll need the FF button as he can be chatty at times, only because he can be a bit redundant and plugs his other videos, which can be helpful.

I’d recommend a second monitor if you don’t have one. There’s plenty that I don’t know yet, but help isn’t hard to find if you word your search carefully.

My only complaint with fusion is editing stl’s. If it’s an organic shape with complex geometry it may struggle and crash, or lose a fair amount of detail. Maybe i just haven’t found the best video on the subject yet.

Pretty much my experience with MasterCam, there’s usually many different ways to get to the same place, although I didn’t have the luxury of videos at the time (20+ years ago) but in all fairness they made it a very intuitive (if unaffordable to the average hobbyist) program to learn.

The first time I tried any CAD was trying a simple circle on the built-in controller of an ANILAM mill, the result bore a striking resemblance to a set of Mickey Mouse ears so I’m very happy to see the great selection of today’s programs available simply for the asking.

Like i said, I don’t follow the rules close enough. My organization needs to be addressed. If it’s a lengthy project, i’ve got way too many sketches, my time line gets trashed and i end up “breaking” the whole project, but i’m learning what not to do, slowly. It can be challenging but i have no desire to learn a different software.

I’ve just started tinkering around with the cam function of fusion to use with the mpcnc. I know estlcam is the recommended norm, but i gotta be different. Lol

I’ve created my first tool path with it 2 days ago. Just waiting on bits from Ryan to make my first cuts. Also picked up a
2’x2’ of 1” foam so I don’t break them.

I haven’t tried the newly added “slicer” feature for 3D printing yet. I’ve got Repetier w/ CuraEngine dialed in really good for printing so I probably won’t bother. I’ve played with the animation feature and it is a pretty neat feature.

That is the part about getting good at CAD. I school if you messed up and didn’t know what happened the would just say start over. I guess that works for 101 but anything after that you should 100% fix it. I would say 99% of CAD is fixing it. When you are good you learn tricks to make fixing it easier, but I only got a lot better watching really good people work, or editing their files.

First real job I had involving CAD I was asked to edit a large assembly that already had 4 large molds made so I need to make it work with minimal mold machining. I learned a lot in those 3 days.

This is also the sort of thing that comes up when some asks, can you send me parts to fit XX sized rails…isn’t CAD parametric… Or send me your files so I can edit them real quick…The center assembly is hundreds of operations and then the rest of the parts are dependent on those. One edit can literally change every part if you are not careful.

My opinion Learn Fusion because it is the most popular for hobbyists. I have learned 3 CAD packages in my carrier so far and Fusion is not one of them yet. I can use it but I am much faster with other packages. Onshape is most natural for me and also free but you will find the most tutorials for fusion.

After watching a few tutorials I thought Fusion looked very interesting but, and there’s usually a but ;o). IIRC the first time I looked at the Autodesk site it said it was available free for personal use, when I look now it says available free for personal use for one year. I don’t mind spending the time to learn something but am very unsure if I’d have enough use for it after a year to want a $495 annual subscription. Or do they normally offer a personal use renewal?

I have access to SolidWorks through an organizational membership so I may have to spend some time on tutorials for both to see if I have any clear preferences. I’m reluctant to accept the 30 Fusion trial right now as I want to get started on an MPCNC build and learning printing and doing the carpentry may be more than enough fun for a while.

It renews for free.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! I’d never try to lie about the no ‘commercial use agreement’, just a bit reluctant to spend a lot of time learning a system I may not want to pay for in a year and be forced to learn another, and the years go by at an accelerating pace. ;0(.

Sounds like it’s time for tutorials and to sign up.

CAD skills are easily transfer between packages. Just some things are different. I can jump into any CAD and get what I need to done but I am currently very fast in Solidworks…but I have had a license at my disposal for ~8 years or so. Next time I have to pay I will be making a new choice unless solidworks changes the vendor policies. For them you need to go through scummy 3rd parties and they are the most annoying aspect of it. They will call you and email constantly. Onshape is a similar price and fusion is a bit less (for commercial use). So I still recommend fusion currently it has the most built in tools and what I would be using if I did not already own all of that.

I moved away from my friend’s shop in NJ more than 10 years ago so haven’t played with any CAD during that time and I’m blown away by what’s available free and/or very reasonably these days and I’d never really seen anything like Tinkercad in action. Same goes for the equipment that’s available, I used to frequently joke I wish Ron Popeil of RONCO fame would quit cooking chickens and making ‘Pocket Fisherman’ and make a CNC machine the average hobbyist could afford to have in his/her shop. It may not be Ron’s doing but I’m very happy I somehow stumbled onto your site and Thank You very much for being so willing to share your knowledge and creations!

2 Likes

Using fusion for CAD is fine, but start with estlcam for cam, even if you are getting good at fusion.

I talk more about the different tools in the software workflow doc.

1 Like

Well, one thing I’ve learned today is if you’ve been watching tutorials for one program (Tin kercad) it can be a bit confusing watching others (Fusion 360) immediately afterwards. :crazy_face:

1 Like

But why start with estlcam with the intent to migrate to fusion? Why not just learn fusion? I understand that there is a lot of support here if i had a question on estlcam, but i’d rather learn what i have in an environment that i’m already familiar with.

I am aware that it may be more complex than necessary, but i do diagnosis and repair on all makes of todays vehicles, so i’m fairly comfortable navigating my way around unnecessary complexity.

i’ll have a go at it. If i wreck an entire set of bits on the first project, i’ll consider installing estlcam.

That is fine just fewer people here that can give answers to fusion problems but more and more are becoming proficient so it’s getting better. There are a lot more variables also so estcam cuts the starting pains to a minimum

CAM translates pretty well. Learning in Estlcam (and following estlcam basics) will help you learn the machine, and basic CAM. When you start learning fusion, you will have saved time. There is a lot to learn on the first few jobs. Starting without learning fusion CAM is a really good idea.

That’s just my $0.02. Feel free to go your own way.

There are some good videos on estlcam on youtube. You can see how much simpler it is.

1 Like

That is like learning to drive in an 18 wheeler and a blindfold on with us trying to help you over a walkie talkie.
CAM can be extremely complex, Fusion CAM is essential to also know CAD very well. Estlcam has none of those issues. CAD and CAM are extremely different conversations.
You do nothing but gain experience starting with ESTlCAM cam, every single setting is transferable. Starting with Fusion CAM will probably cause you to throw away the CNC.

1 Like

Ok, i’ll check it out.

Everyone is making solid points and you certainly have your pick of great options. OnShape would be my vote, without a moment’s hesitation. It was founded by the same guy who founded SolidWorks. He sold that off to Dassault and then set about fixing some of the legacy mistakes or simple design choices which didn’t map well to a cloud-based collaborative world.

It’s free (as in beer), and if you need to have private files then you can pay for a premium subscription.

OnShape was acquired by PTC last fall, so it’s got funding and a very long-range commitment.

3 Likes