Which PSU for MKS genL V1.0?

mpcnc nema 17 x5

which PSU for MKS genL V1.0 ?

/ Jesse

12V, 6A, same as any other board, really.

I was using one of those boards for my Primo initially. I used the Ramps firmware build, and it worked fine. I did eventually decide to upgrade to 32bit control electronics, but the MKS Gen L was adequate. you will probably want to make sure that you turn off arc (G02/G03) commands in your CAM application.

Kind thanks!

to turn of arc G commands ? why ? What is the case ?

Thank You !

I found that the 8bit CPU just wasn’t able to do the math for the arcs fast enough, so it would pause partway through the cuts, and would stop/start very suddenly.

Turning off the arc commands in Estlcam resolved the problem, but so did upgrading to a 32bit contgroller board. (In my case, a Duet Wifi, which also allowed me to upload my CAM files instead of transporting the SD card back and forth.)

ok ok, a bit new things for me…

I thought MKS gen L V1.0 would be 32bit…

Thank You

Nope. It’s basically an Arduino Mega2560 with RAMPS 1.4 clone. This is perfectly adequate for these machines, but the CPU is a bit weak for floating point calculations.

ok thanks!

Can I use this ?

No.

You need something that supplies DC voltage. That supplies AC voltage, if you connect that to the power supply terminals, you will have some magic smoke loose in the room.

1 Like

ok thanks !

I use MKS Gen L v1.0 and I use a 24V power supply (MKS Gen L supports 24V). Higher voltage allows theoretically higher top speeds but for normal use you won’t see a difference from 12V.

(edit: oops, got confused about my 12V and 24V supplies)

ok, so 24V and 15A for me also, thanks.

Well, for full disclosure sake… I use 24V as well, but it’s absolutely unnecessary for a Primo, and makes things like fans more complicated than it needs to be, since all of the cheap fans are 12V. I use 24V because I have a ton of them lying around, most were in use for 3D printers, where that possible top speed advantage means something.

V1 sells hardware kits with a 12V 6A supply, and that’s more than adequate for almost everyone who isn’t doing something weird, like trying to power a 500W DC spindle from the same power supply.

My ZenXY table is 12V powered, and my CoreXY laser, because the laser itself needs 12V. My LowRider2 is going to be 12V powered, because that’s all it needs.

Thanks !