Wiring a NeoPixel to RAMBO 1.4

Hi all!

I’d like to wire some or one NeoPixel LED to my MPCNC to indicate once the job is finished. I take it that can be done with M150 - I also saw that I need to enable this in Marlin with #define NEOPIXEL_LED in Configuration.h

I also think that the data pin on the board translates to PIN 4 (I might be wrong).

My question: Does anybody know where to look for the PIN4 / 3.3V or 5V / GND Pin on a Rambo 1.4.
I found a number of pictures with named pin blocks on the board but nothing that would be convincing for me to risk simply plugging in the 3 wires…

Help would be rally appreciated!

Cheers,

BJ

How are you sending the gcode? I have octoprint on my printer and there is a nice plugin for running neopixels or other addressable LEDs. I connected them to the raspberry pi in that case. It might be worth checking out. I know the new pi zero 2 w is supposedly fast enough to run octoprint.

According to the schematic, Pin 4 is also called PG5 and is the sixth pin on the PWM extension. You can find the PWM extension just above the microprocessor and below the Fan 2 label in this image. This will be a 5V pin.

If you have a voltmeter and are careful not to short anything, you can use an M42 g-code to set pin states to verify a pin before hooking up your NeoPixels. I’m not sure which is pin 6 on the PWM block, but pin 1 is VCC, so it should be easy to figure out.

I don’t believe NeoPixels require a PWM pin, so you should be able to define any unused pin for NeoPixels, so if you have trouble finding pin 4, I can provide you with a picture of other labeled and unused pins.

Edit to add some images before closing the tabs:

Pin 4 is also referred to as PG5 on the microcontroller.
Pin4_1

Pin 4/PG5 can be found on the PWM extension:
Pin4_2

The PWM extension (also labeled X34 on the board) can be found between Fan 2 and the micro processor:
Pin4_3

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

The VCC pin was on the left side (as shown in your picture of the pcb) . Works nicely with the M150.

1 Like

I am running the gcode directly from an SD card

1 Like