Wiring in series - Rookie question

Hey everyone. I’m almost done with my MPCNC, and the suspense of getting the last few things together are killing me…

The final big hurdle, is getting all the steppers wired up in series. I’m not big on electronics, but I can follow a video on youtube or a drawing if I need to. My question is this:
I’ve seen the instructable (https://www.instructables.com/id/Wiring-Your-Z-Stepper-Motors-in-Series/) about wiring in series, and I’ve seen some youtube vids on the subject as well. In all the resources I have found, the order of the colors on the wire is different from mine. Usually the order seems to be: Red, Blue, Green, Black. But on my stepper drivers they are Blue, Red, Green, Black.

Is this of any consequence?

I tried making an adaptor on my breadboard for testing purposese - but the motors seemed to change direction each time I actived them through pronterface.!

I’ve attached some images of my steppers - and sorry in advance if this is just a stupid question.

53|375x500

Wire colors are… non-deterministic with a hint of whimsy. If you bought the motors as a set, then they are likely at least consistent with each other. Note that I say as a set, not from the same manufacturer. Big distinction. Anyway, your best bet is to wire them up “as if” everything was rational and consistent, and fix things from there (usually reversing wiring plugs).

Note that at no time did I say that the wire colors of your motors would be consistent with any diagrams, anywhere. You want a valid diagram? Break out your crayons… :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that :slight_smile: It only confirms my suspicion that this’ll take some time :slight_smile: I’ll break out the crayons when I have found a good solution.

Some more info here:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/steppers/

Edits are welcome.

1 Like

Hey @doepe , You want to make sure you know what pair is what. What do I mean by that well it is simple. In our type of stepper motor, you can freely spin the motor. Now if you were to connect two leads like the black and green or the red and blue you may find a great amount of resistance when you try to spin the motor (this is with no electricity attached). That is how you find your pairs. I take the ends off of my motors and I never use connections (I solder most if not all my connections). I do things a bit different than others though. If you keep the leads on your motors and use the extensions then it’s just a matter of reversing one of the leads (provided plug) to get both motors to go in the same direction.

Thanks Michael, that was very helpful.

I’ve made a temporary solution, that seems to work for me right now. It’s very janky - but I’ll get around to finding a better solution at some point :slight_smile:

That is not janky. That is a professional solution. I used those connectors in over 1500 PLC’s back in the 90’s. I had installed and maintained over 2500 HVAC/R units in a school district that went automated before the public knew what that was. Nice job. That is not only professional but it is a safe solution. Those connections will not short out and it has been my experience they do not loosen up very easliy. Good Job!

2 Likes