Wiring issue? or reflash?

I recently bought the RAMBO 1.4 board on the V1 site. I just plugged in the X, Y, Z, X1, Y1 locations and the X1 and Y1 are not turning. I searced in the software menu to see if there was an option to turn on X1 and Y1 but didn’t find it. I am simply plugging the stepper motors directly into the board to test operation; wires are not ran through pipes and covered with mesh yet. Should I turn the X1 and Y1 connector over and try it? I don’t want to damage the board or stepper motor. The Rambo board came with 4 end stops which I plan to install also. I just wanted to plug in and see the motors turn. I don’t have the grooved belts installed yet.

I just ordered the “Individual wiring kit” that includes wires for the endstops so wire management should be easier after I figure this out.

From my reading of the dual endstop page, I gather that it requires flashing dual-endstop-capable firmware. I am inferring that the boards are not pre-flashed with dual-endstop firmware. I am not seeing an option in the store to buy regular vs. dual-endstop firmware so I would assume they ship with regular (non-dual-endstop) firmware.

1 Like

Hi,

I experienced the same issue. I suspect the pre-flashed version is for series connected steppers. When I put the stepper on the X axis it worked fine.

I’m in the process of setting up to flash to the dual. End stop version. I tried last night but had failures which I’m attributing to using the wrong version of arduino (need 1.9 as I understand it)

YMMV, might want someone wiser than me weigh in though

I was thinking that if the board that I bought came with endstops, then it would be flashed for the endstop version. I removed the two working steppers from the board and put on the two non-working, and they started right up. So apparently X2 and Y2 are not supported yet. So, I’m gathering info about flashing the board. Good luck to all of us. I wanted to know how to do this anyway, and now I get to find out! (optimism).

Update:

I downloaded the endstop version off github. I downloaded Arduino 1.8.9 from the arduino site (I downloaded the zip, not the app store version) then followed the how to:

https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

I did get an odd warning message on compile

u8g_dev_t u8g_dev_rot = { u8g_dev_rot_dummy_fn, NULL, NULL };
but found a thread for it on github

https://github.com/olikraus/u8glib/issues/366

which basically said, ignore. So I did.

I plugged a stepper into E0 and connected with repetier and got a response where before I didn’t.

I think I’m good to go at this point.

Nope. They all come with all the extras. Typically I send series unless you only buy a dual bundle. As always I strongly suggest you not use dual until you need it (if ever).

1 Like

Ryan, I thought that you recently changed your mind and recommended that we use the endstops? I want to be able to stop a job, resume, and change bits, etc. if possible. Anyway, are there instructions somewhere about what to do after reflashing the software? I re-flashed and now only one stepper motor moves while trying to home for X and Y. The X1 endstop causes the machine to not power up (I think I’ve got to move the plug over to the right and this may resolve this issue). I can’t find details about how to do this yet.

Thanks/Tim

Have a look at the dual endstops page. It can be a significant hurdle at first, stop, resume, and tool changes are actually pretty advanced as compared to making a sign.

Also, if that endstop was wired wrong, it could have fried the circuit.

@barry99705 is there a way to determine/test if your board IS actually fried on the endstop circuit? Otherwise I suppose it may be a hardware issue that I can’t identify yet still… I’m referring to the rambo 1.4 board.

Look at the traces on the board by the endstop plugs. If they’re burned, you’ll see it.

I haven’t noticed it yet thus far when messing with the dual end stop wires. So I’m mostly ruling that out. I’ve wired the outer terminals for the limit switches. I’m not sure what’s causing my limit switches to all read “triggered” to date…

If they’re wired opposite to what the firmware wants, they’ll show triggered. I think the firmware wants normally closed endstops, so if one of the wires breaks, it won’t home and break something. So if your stops are wired normally open, it will always show triggered.

@barry99705 that makes sense… currently my wires are wired to the limit switch on the the outer ends… Perhaps I need to place one of them on the center?

They should actually be labeled. You are looking for “NC”

1 Like