Wood working bits

Am interested in putting patterns in bed ends using vbits.

What mm size of vbits is best for making patterns in bed ends and furniture

You are going to have to do some testing to figure out what your machine can handle. It all depends on size, quality, CAM design, feeds and speeds, etc. Wider bits take significantly more rigidity to pull through wood. So start small and do some testing.

I have some musings about your question, but no experience. I v-carve small plaques, and custom greeting cards, not furniture. And my musings are related to the nature of v-bits, not to the capabilities of the MPCNC.

V-carving moves the bit up and down so the cutter at the dept being cut matches the edge of the profile. When the profile is bigger than diameter of the cutter at the maximum cutting depth, an island is left. Some CAM software automatically uses the v-bit to pocket out these islands. Other CAM software (like Fusion 360), require a separate toolpath (and a bit of hacking), to get rid of these islands. Personally, I find the sharp valleys in v-carved work interesting, and flat pockets less so, so I would select a cutter that minimizes the flat areas for the material thickness I’d be using.

To figure out what diameter of cutter to purchase, first figure out the maximum depth you want to cut. Say you are working in 3/4" material, and only want to cut half way through at most. Your maximum cutting depth would be 3/8". For a 90 degree cutter (45 degree sides), this would mean purchasing a 3/4" in diameter cutter. A v-bit bigger in diameter than 3/4" would not help since the extra would not be used. For a 60-degree v-bit using the same material thickness and maximum cutting dept, a1/2" cutter would do the job.

While I have no practical knowledge, I see that some v-bits have replicable blades. In a production environment, that might be a big plus.